Cadillac Forum - Enthusiast forums for Cadillac Owners

Cadillac Forum - Enthusiast forums for Cadillac Owners (https://www.cadillacforum.com/forum/)
-   Cadillac STS (https://www.cadillacforum.com/forum/cadillac-sts-17/)
-   -   Added a 1999 STS to the Fleet (https://www.cadillacforum.com/forum/cadillac-sts-17/added-1999-sts-fleet-13346/)

Katzmans Caddy 08-22-2012 09:15 PM

Added a 1999 STS to the Fleet

5 Attachment(s)
Picked this up today, 79,000 mile car, owned first three years by Dealership in Aurora ON (that's 40 minutes north of Toronto). I got it from a 69 yr. old lady who bought a new Altima. In Ontario Canada cars must pass an emmission test and safety inspection to transfer ownership and it did well. It is in very good condition. This car will serve the family and I won't drive it much if at all. Always on the lookout for cheap low mileage nice Cadillacs, they make great second and third cars. Rather have my kids drive this than a Toyota or Nissan that's for sure.

Karen 09-02-2012 11:40 PM

Wow, this STS is in great shape low mileage and even the headlights are clear (most are faded and dull). I've been looking all over for a black on black STS and would have traveled from Albany, NY to Toronto, Canada for this one (not sure on what rules apply for Customs). You are one lucky guy. Do you want to sell it? I'll bet the answer is no. I'm Very curious on what you paid for it. In the states you could get between 10 to 11 thousand U.S. dollars if it runs as good as it looks.
good luck and enjoy the Ride

Katzmans Caddy 09-03-2012 12:37 AM

Car was actually one hour north of Toronto on Lake Simcoe. It was dry and dusty so that indicates it was summer driven on rural roads. Car was dealer undercoated and oiled over it's life. I looked for two months for a car like this, black, low mileage and in my price range. Also essential to transfer a car in Ontario is a valid emmission test and safety certificate. This car was offered with both at $4,200 and she wouldn't budge. She ended up paying $400 for brake work to safety so it was a good call on my part to not haggle or take it without the safety certificate. Comparable priced cars in Toronto all had 250,000 km and no e-test or safety. So we bought it, transfered the owenrship in a small town storefront Government service office, no waiting and nice people too, bolted on plates and drove it back to Toronto with my son, 23 at the wheel.

You like my headlights?......you should see them now. I used Mothers headlight polish and powerball on them today changed bulbs to Silvania Silverstar Ultra - $60 pr. and now it looks like a contemporay car with bright white light and super clear shinning lenses. I also changed a burnt out fog lamp, what a PITA. I know how to do it in 15 minutes now and I am told the dealer charges 2 hrs.

BTW, it is easy bringing a car over the border, no duty anymore but you have to give them 72 hours notice and file the ownership and bill of sale with VIN.

Sell it? Not yet - I haven't got the keys from my son long enough to drive it yet......but we did get it for him afterall.

Karen 09-03-2012 08:34 PM

Well, your son is riding in style and you have the comfort of knowing he has the safety of a Cadillac, God forbid.
You did get a really good deal. I just paid $6,200 for a 2003 SLS with 110,000 miles. Although newer in age there were very few changes and no cosmetic changes between 1999 and 2003. Plus, I don't have the black interior or the trim and options that the STS has. Between the two cars I'd take yours even at $6,200.00.
I first joined this forum a few years back to learn how to change a fog light on my other Seville ( 2000 STS black on black) I have since giving that car to my son. The owners manual says "See dealer to change" but, I found a post that was very helpfull. Still a bit hard to reach.
As for the headlights both cars are dim. So I'm glad to hear about your replacement bulbs, I will give them a try ASAP. I might also try the Mother's Power Ball. I did try this as seen on tv stuff that didn't help at all.
One thing I did try and was very happy with was the Turtle Wax Black Box Kit. Once you remove the old wax it's a two step kit that's made just for black cars. After the first coat I wasn't all that impressed, so I tried a second coat of wax and boy does this car shine.
Thanks for all the info

Katzmans Caddy 09-04-2012 12:08 AM

I was looking for something in the 2002/03 range as well but the mileage and condition of this 1999 made me pull the trigger. The STS has the 300 HP engine while the SLS has the 275 HP. I have owned cars with both and I'd say the 275 HP is a better choice for city driving as it has 300 ft lb torque at a lower RPM that the 300 HP engine. The fuel consumption is also better with the 275 HP engine. That said the 300 HP STS is a rocket.

I have a lot of cars and a lot of tools so I have a couple of power buffers too but nothing beats the products from Zaino.

Zaino Store