Cadillac STS The newest installation of the performance sedan from Cadillac, having replaced the Seville

Noises/Bangs/Notifications

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2017, 09:55 AM
Default Noises/Bangs/Notifications

Hello all,

I'm experiencing a great deal of things suspension-wise. Here we go:
1. I'm not sure why... but if I go over the slightest bumps in the road (sometimes there's a string of them), I can feel my car break traction and even slide a little.... like I'm on some ice. If the bump is hard enough, I'll here this POP, like something hit the car on the right side.

Just got new OEM struts and shocks. Not sure what to make of it.

Info panel says, "Service Suspension System", and "Service Tire Monitor". And when I am quasi-hydroplaning without the water, the ABS and Traction lights come on.

Any ideas?

Old 05-11-2017, 02:40 PM

Years ago I had an Oldsmobile that had a pop in the left front suspension. Turned out to be the lower ball joint had developed a crack in the socket portion that the ball fits into and if I hit a bump that was just the right height/depth it would pop. I 'found' it when it failed and the car dropped down onto the tire. Luckily I was just at the end of my driveway going very slow.
I would take the car to a reputable mechanic and have them do a thorough inspection of the front suspension. Tell them to pull back dust boots to inspect want is under them.

Old 06-05-2017, 05:19 AM

This rumbling sound over small dips and bumps in the road can be heard in the front and rear both. It's like something's loose. The popping sound when a hard bump is hit sound like the right side close to the rear tire area.

Old 06-05-2017, 12:30 PM
Tech Certified Members

noise resent before strut replacement? worn stabilizer links?

Old 06-08-2017, 04:58 AM

yes, some. But it's really gotten worse overtime. Rides like Flinstone car.

Old 06-29-2017, 05:51 AM

Okay, I found some shocks, but they're the regular passive gas shocks. Couldn't afford the high price of going back OEM. Want to some day, but these were a great deal. New problem. Info window says I'm limited to 80MPH now. I can only imagine that it's because of not going back OEM on the rear shocks. Is there a way to make this go away? Thanks for your help. I'm not sure where to go or what to buy to solve this. But I'm sure it's something to fool the system somehow. Does anyone know how to solve this? Without heading to the dealer?

Last edited by maiahsdad; 06-30-2017 at 06:09 AM. Reason: .....
Old 07-05-2017, 01:53 AM

Being that I've gotten no response.... sounds like there's no solution here. Is there an easy fix to this speed limit issue? Is there something that I can just go to Pep Boys, Autozone, or somewhere like that to get something to fix this? I'm told that some passive shock conversions come with this... "plug" of some kind that just plugs into the end of the wires and that's it. I'm trying to find THAT... if this is actually the easiest fix. Buying two more shocks is NOT on a doable list... Thanks for your help, guys and ladies!