Cadillac Forum - Enthusiast forums for Cadillac Owners

Cadillac Forum - Enthusiast forums for Cadillac Owners (https://www.cadillacforum.com/forum/)
-   Cadillac STS (https://www.cadillacforum.com/forum/cadillac-sts-17/)
-   -   1997 STS Issue (https://www.cadillacforum.com/forum/cadillac-sts-17/1997-sts-issue-2272/)

kherov 03-29-2007 12:14 PM

1997 STS Issue

Cadillac Mechanic team assemble!!

I am having a strange development with my '97 STS. First of all, my right turn signal blinks fast, I've checked and replaced most of the lights. I checked it with a voltmeter, and it's giving plenty of juice. Fuse maybe? But then my trunk mounted CD player started acting crazy. Now this morning, when you shift into reverse or park, the car no longer locks/unlocks automatically. Still, I suspect a possible fuse issue, but look forward to your optomisticbut possibly harrowing suggestions.

Thanks

belagatyo 03-30-2007 03:38 PM

RE: 1997 STS Issue

My '97 STS was a fast blinker once. It started on one side first, then ended up blinking fast with both eyes. Turned out an issue in the wiring harness.

As far as your other electrical gremlins are concerned, I'd first pull the codes as some of them may point in the right direction. Codes all over the map and/or various elecrtical problems can be indicative of poor battery connections. Side post batteries are notorious of leaking acid (due to overtightening) and causing lotsa corrosion. Sometimes you need to disassemble the cble ends (espec. the positive) to have them thoroughly cleaned with a wire brush or Dremel Tool.

kherov 04-12-2007 04:53 PM

The electrical problems seem to have worked themselves out. But I pose another problem to you now.

Car has been running rough, and had check engine light on for about 2 months. Ran the codes at auto zone and they told me it was because of the EGR valve, or EGR related systems, possibly the O2 sensors or whatnot. Went and got the EGR replaced, and the check engine light went away... but the car still idles rough, and accelerates fairly rough. Every once in a while at 2k RPM I hear a small pop, like mini-explosion. Obviously that's not good for the engine. I had the same problem 3 years ago and the Caddy dealership replaced the Throttle Body. Which fixed the problem.

The rough acceleration and pops only happen around 2k RPM.

Codes don't point to anything...

Any suggestions?

belagatyo 04-12-2007 08:13 PM

How many miles on your STS? If it's close to 100Kmi and the plugs and cables haven't been replaced, it's about time for that (which is reg. maintenance). Other than that nothing pops into my mind. It's strange that you don't have any codes as one is set even if you've got a miss once.

kherov 04-13-2007 11:56 PM

The car has over 120k miles on her. The plugs and cables have been replaced 3 years ago when I first got it. But an unfortunate flooding accident required me to get the engine replaced. The shop that fixed the car said that they had also refitted the new parts from the old automobile onto the "new engine". That being said I suspect 1 of 2 things.

1. Maybe they were just blowing smoke, and didn't do what they said they would do at all, leaving the system as was when it was installed into the car. Which would mean that I WOULD have to get the plugs and cables replaced.

or and I may be wrong but...

2. It is possible that they DID replace those things, but those components may have been damaged as well by the water.

I'd take it somewhere to get it inspected but I don't know of any places around here to do that, except Cadillac and they'll charge me 75$ just to look at the car. *Sigh* I wish I was a mechanic.

belagatyo 04-14-2007 07:59 PM

You don't have to be a mechanic to take out one plug. This would be like a random test to see if they replaced them and with what. They better be AC-Delco Platinum plugs. Other platinum plugs might not cut it because those likely to have the platinum on one electrode only. Our Caddy needs'em on both.

kherov 04-16-2007 08:58 PM

Thanks for the advice, I'll have to look into it as soon as I can. Unfortunately I am leaving the country for a few months... Will have to get it looked at whenever I get back. In any case, at least at that point I will have the available funding to be able to pursue that type of endeavor.

Thanks again!

belagatyo 04-17-2007 05:35 AM

Good luck to you wherever you go, and return safely!

kherov 04-17-2007 12:33 PM

Oh we'll be safe, it's the Air Force after all. Thanks though and you all take care as well.