Cadillac Forum - Enthusiast forums for Cadillac Owners

Cadillac Forum - Enthusiast forums for Cadillac Owners (https://www.cadillacforum.com/forum/)
-   Cadillac SRX (https://www.cadillacforum.com/forum/cadillac-srx-10/)
-   -   2004 SRX synthetic oil (https://www.cadillacforum.com/forum/cadillac-srx-10/2004-srx-synthetic-oil-1974/)

nberg100k 03-02-2007 07:38 PM

2004 SRX synthetic oil

I have been using Mobile 1 Synthetic since the SRX was new. I am going out of town tomorrow and the Cadillac dealership could not fit me in for an oil change and I am in desperate need for one. The only available place that can change it for me tomorrow is Jiffy Lube, I called them and they said they use Penzoil Platinum Synthetic.

I assume this will be a safe switch from my Mobile 1....???

Thanks for any insight.

kbrkr 03-14-2007 10:15 AM

RE: 2004 SRX synthetic oil

I know this post is too late for your trip, but I was advised once to avoid Jiffy Lube. I've heard stories of people bringing their cars there and having drain plugs stripped, missing, installed loose, etc. thus causing oil to leak out and damaging the engine. Of course this is probably only a few cases and shouldn't damage the reputation of the entire franchise, but fair warning.

Also, I would think all synthetics are pretty much the same. As long as you STAY synthetic you should be OK.

hyperion 03-14-2007 10:22 AM

Also too late for the original post but I am curious when any one can't find the time to get to a dealer for a lube they automatically think "jiffy lube" (where I have never had a problem.)
The little local garage right down the street has always told me to bring my car right in for an instant lube when I mention I desire Mobil 1.

Stealth 03-14-2007 12:02 PM

a little late for you,
a little help for the next guy?

most, most shops WILL use the oil you provide.
it may not hurt to have the oil you prefer in the trunk
and offer it when they stte they dont have it.

then WATCH that they use it and not pump the oil from the 55 gallon drum in the closet.

in crowed SoCA, if you want DEALER service, any dealer, you drive early am and get in line.
they all service cars in the order the cars arrived. this is not the case elesewhere?

some will also make appointments but still go by the order of arrival until the appointment car's
time.

ORIGINAL: nberg100k

I have been using Mobile 1 Synthetic since the SRX was new. I am going out of town tomorrow and the Cadillac dealership could not fit me in for an oil change and I am in desperate need for one. The only available place that can change it for me tomorrow is Jiffy Lube, I called them and they said they use Penzoil Platinum Synthetic.

I assume this will be a safe switch from my Mobile 1....???

Thanks for any insight.

hyperion 03-14-2007 12:51 PM

True with most "dealers" but the independents will bend over backwards. Mine likes a phone call so his hoist isn't being used in the middle of a brake job. But then, most places are not at all like Southern California!
(Go ahead with your news about ninety degree temps. We will hit 70 today but the forcast is for snow Saturday!)

Stealth 03-14-2007 03:38 PM

we are getting frostbite. only 77F today.

took my kid to school and had to run the heater
and i'm now considering wearing shoes and long pants.