Cadillac Forum - Enthusiast forums for Cadillac Owners

Cadillac Forum - Enthusiast forums for Cadillac Owners (https://www.cadillacforum.com/forum/)
-   Cadillac Seville (https://www.cadillacforum.com/forum/cadillac-seville-16/)
-   -   Extended cranking to start...? (https://www.cadillacforum.com/forum/cadillac-seville-16/extended-cranking-start-9080/)

cruizer 05-26-2009 08:25 AM

Extended cranking to start...?

Help!...My 1997 STS runs great once started, but suddenly it has to crank over for an extended amount of time before it will start. Doesn't matter if it is hot or cold.

No codes...?

rickyd 05-26-2009 08:43 AM

when were the plugs changed last? try this.... turn key on to second click before start. leave there for 10 seconds, then start...... if she starts right up let us know..... oh, once its started the first time, will it start right up right after, or shortly after that?
rickyd

Stealth 05-26-2009 01:04 PM

fuel pump may be failing .. check your fuel pressure at the rail ...

try this ...
crank for about 2-seconds ..wait 2-seconds .. crank again til it starts .. report back ...

cruizer 05-27-2009 08:51 AM

Thanks for the response guys.

I have not changed the plugs to date, however the total miles on the car is only 72,000. Runs great once started - no hiccups, burps or stumbles...smooth, good idle and excellent mileage still.

I've checked the fuel pressure at the rail with the va*** hose on...43 - 45 psi. Looks like good volume, but I didn't measure it. I didn't think to pull the va*** line off to check for fuel there.

Key on for 10 seconds makes no difference. I have not tried shutting it off and restarting immediately yet. I'll try that. I thought about a pump relay, but it gets fuel pressure with just the key on.

This has given me a couple of ideas. I'll check it out and get back with you.

cruizer 05-27-2009 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by rickyd (Post 32136)
when were the plugs changed last? try this.... turn key on to second click before start. leave there for 10 seconds, then start...... if she starts right up let us know..... oh, once its started the first time, will it start right up right after, or shortly after that?
rickyd

Again, leaving the key on for 10 seconds before starting doesn't help, but by golly it will start right up after shutting it off.

rickyd 05-27-2009 01:54 PM

our idea was to see if leaving key on, it would activate fuel pump and get gas flowing. i still think you've got fuel pump going bad. keep us posted on whats up. i say fuel pump,,,,,, lets see if stealth feels same way.
rickyd

cruizer 05-29-2009 10:41 AM

Found the problem guys.

Another FPR bites the dust.

Looks like I have the stainless steel fuel rail. That's a good thing, but the FPR is more expensive.

thanks again for you responses.:D

Now if I can figure out why my engine has started this loud annoying whinning noise between 1200 - 2000 rpm. I've checked the alternator, (replaced the bearings) replaced the power steering pump and both idler pulleys, belt.

It isn't the water pump. The noise is on the opposite side.

Hmmmm...lots of fun.:confused:

rickyd 05-29-2009 10:44 AM

hey thanks Forum know whats up, and glad to hear....problem soluved!
rickyd