Cadillac Seville The Cadillac luxury combined with a performance sedan feel

97 Seville cooling problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2009, 12:42 AM
Tech Certified Members

if your looking to sell the car you would get more by selling the parts off it on ebay. The whole car is really not worth much to people now days since we scrap cars and buy another one. Or people need a part off it and can get used parts cheaper and easier. now if you get a used engine most time they will pressure test it and thats it, but you never know the condition of the gaskets.

I bought my 98 seville with a used engine that was put in with 60k and 5k later the gaskets went out and i experienced all the symptoms you did. My bill was $2800 at the dealer. Nobody in my area would even look at it. One guy hung up on me as soon as i said northstar no joke. i called back cuz i thought he accidently hung up and he said He worked for GM when they came out with this engine and he quit working on them after dealing with all the problems. He said thats all he did at the dealership was tear apart thes engines because of this. The engine its self was in good shape but was never able to be assembled together and hold up for long. He stated that its not worth the customers money or mechanics time to repair these engines. He also says there is a 60% fail rate when these engines ared repaired. so you are basicly in a pickle if you want to keep this car running. but you can always find another cady if you like these cars.

Old 08-27-2009, 09:20 AM
Tech Certified Members

the real sad thing about all this is that the engine is fine .. these Northstars will go 300,000 to 400,000 miles w/o a glitch if and only IF, the coolant is changed out every TWO YEARS. the engines are awesome in performance and durability .. the engines were designed to last longer than the car itself .. they were not designed to be overhauled & there you have the problem with mechanics .. but the designers never imagined what would happen next.

the problem is that the EPA wont allow GM to call for a coolant change before 10 years (or is 5?) !
Again, our go'ol govt telling us they are smarter than us. more govt anyone?

if you dont know already, every aluminum engine out there is being afflicted by the same issues of coolant protection depletion. and like GM, no one is stepping forward and letting the owners know. the makers just deal with it within the warranties when things go bad. coolant depletion takes place on a time basis, not mileage ! 5 years from new and two years thereafter is what we know!

Originally Posted by 92_Daddylac
if your looking to sell the car you would get more by selling the parts off it on ebay. The whole car is really not worth much to people now days since we scrap cars and buy another one. Or people need a part off it and can get used parts cheaper and easier. now if you get a used engine most time they will pressure test it and thats it, but you never know the condition of the gaskets.

I bought my 98 seville with a used engine that was put in with 60k and 5k later the gaskets went out and i experienced all the symptoms you did. My bill was $2800 at the dealer. Nobody in my area would even look at it. One guy hung up on me as soon as i said northstar no joke. i called back cuz i thought he accidentally hung up and he said He worked for GM when they came out with this engine and he quit working on them after dealing with all the problems. He said that's all he did at the dealership was tear apart these engines because of this. The engine its self was in good shape but was never able to be assembled together and hold up for long. He stated that its not worth the customers money or mechanics time to repair these engines. He also says there is a 60% fail rate when these engines ared repaired. so you are basically in a pickle if you want to keep this car running. but you can always find another cady if you like these cars.

Old 07-19-2012, 01:21 PM

sounds like the problem is slight head gasket leak...the problem will continue to get worse.