Cadillac Seville The Cadillac luxury combined with a performance sedan feel

SLS vs. STS

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2006, 05:09 PM
Default SLS vs. STS

We have always had Lincolns in the past and never have had any trouble with any of them except for the plastic intake manifold on our '97 Town Car. We are thinking about trying a Cadillac this time and I have a few questions.

Will there be a big difference in ride between a '01 Seville STS and a '01 Seville SLS?

If we have always been used to a Town Car do you think we would be dissapointed in a Seville or should we try a DeVille? We want a quiet smooth ride.

I have read some complaints about the Northstar having weak head gaskets, is there any truth to this?

Thanks

Old 11-08-2006, 06:32 PM
Default RE: SLS vs. STS

The sls is 275 hp and the sts is 300 hp.The difference is the sls is geared for an older person lets say 50+ and the sts is set up for under 50 years of age!!!Both cars are high mainenance in my opinion,but nice machines none the less!!!Good luck Bud!!

Old 11-29-2006, 09:41 PM

The head gaskets don't have a failure rate any higher than any other car. You just hear a lot about them because they are a real PITA to replace (you have to take the engine out to replace them, not to mention timeserting the heads).

Yeah the SLS has 15 horsepower less than the STS, but it has more torque. In a race, the SLS would get a headstart but then the STS would pass it down the line. The STS has the VIN 9 engine and the SLS has the VIN Y engine. The difference between the two engines are the intake cams. To compensate for the different torque curve the STS has a different gear ratio in the tranny.

The STS is supposed to be a luxury sport car while the SLS is just luxury. So the Suspension on the STS will be a little tighter (firmer springs, and different programming in the CVRSS module for the active shocks/struts) than that on the SLS.

I (Being 19) would go with the STS, because they both have comfortable backseats [sm=wootwoot.gif] LOL... But the STS has the extra power on top of that.

Old 12-05-2006, 03:16 AM

alright, here is a question that i am most certainly qualified to help answer, and yes, it makes me feel special.
now, IN MY EXPERIENCE, yes, the SLS WILL ride much more smoothly and quietly than the STS. like krashed said, the suspension is geared to hug corners and such, not to give a super comfortable ride. take my word for it, i owned a 99 sls for over a year before my buddy crashed it for me (bastard...) and i have owned my 02 sts for little over a month now. if it is ride you are concerned about, and only ride (not looks, or power, or curb appeal, etc.) then the SLS is most definately your car. but if you are a man of my age (20), like krashed said, an STS would (or should) appeal to you more.
however, the deville is another entity that just may have everyone beat. i am pretty darn sure it will have your lincolns beat, and i saw an advertisment that the newer devilles have the fastest reacting suspension technology that money can buy... personally, i have not sat in a newer style deville so i cannot give insight beyond this- they are EXPENSIVE. the SLS was a TRUELY amazing ride for the price. i paid $6400 for my 99 with 112k. back in 8/05. i was never happier. (until, of course i got my sts. mmmmm...)

As for the head gasket accusations, i will quickly disagree with that as i have heard of no such problems with at least the 98 to 03 northstars...

Theres my two cents, take it or leave it.

Old 01-04-2007, 01:16 PM

I drove several STS' when I was shopping and stumbled upon my SLS. I really wanted the STS but couldnt pass up the perfect condition of this SLS for the price. IMO, a 5 year old STS felt harsh compared to this SLS. Thats just the cars age I guess. The SLS is a great performer and will not disappoint you in ride. Its not mushy at all -- I suppose if you did orange cones you would feel the difference but who is going to do that? SLS is also rated lower on insurance rates as it isnt a "performance" car. Ha! jokes on them as the SLS is truly a performer -- just not a 300HP performer. At age 42, I pay $600 for full coverage a year (your kidding right?). SLS are also typically more base cars (no roof, heated seats etc). Everything else is standard.
Take your time and buy the cleanest SLS or STS you can find out there . I drove alot of ragged out STS plagued with "little issues". Pass on those as a better one will come along soon.

Old 07-10-2008, 11:46 AM

It's interesting, I think, that age has entered into this discussion. I'm 66 and recently bought a '01 STS for a good price ($5800). I've put a couple thousand into it (new tires, brake rotors and discs, front struts and bearings, new plugs and a tune-up). Overall, the car's great. It goes like lightning, handles beautifully and rides... well, like a Cadillac, with every luxury feature Cadillac offered in '01 included. MPG isn't a problem. I get over 23 MPG on the highway at 70 to 80 MPH. Since buying my car - after years of owning imports, this is my first Cadillac - I've started noticing a lot of younger Cadillac owners. Guys in their 20s driving DeVilles, not to mention SLSs and STSs. Good for them. I think the car's are great, though their value seems to plummet the longer they've been on the road. My car, for example, had a sticker price over $51K. My advice in a nutshell: The SLS is somewhat sedate. The STS is more fun.

Old 07-11-2008, 09:35 AM
Super Moderator

Of course the boys in the used car sales department tell me most Devilles beat any STS at the stop light drags. It is that Y code torque monster engine that comes on quick and down low.

Old 07-23-2008, 04:30 PM

I just wanted to put in one more good word for the STS I Love the power of my 98 STS

Old 07-23-2008, 10:08 PM

Im 21 and I drive a 98 sls 40k miles on it and i dont know what they are talking about it geared for 50+ or wutever that thing can cook. I also own a 73 firebird with a 350 and that sls gives it a run for its money. Smooth ride, extremely comfortable and pretty much just ballin. I have no preference really of the sts or the sls except for my sls is in perfect shape and i dont have to walk too bow legged from the insurance companies given me the el bonio.

Old 10-06-2010, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by smadb5
Im 21 and I drive a 98 sls 40k miles on it and i dont know what they are talking about it geared for 50+ or wutever that thing can cook. I also own a 73 firebird with a 350 and that sls gives it a run for its money. Smooth ride, extremely comfortable and pretty much just ballin. I have no preference really of the sts or the sls except for my sls is in perfect shape and i dont have to walk too bow legged from the insurance companies given me the el bonio.
I think it's funny, I drive a 78 Camaro with a 305 that has lots of pickup and go that is going into storage for the winter. Picking up a Seville for front wheel drive ability for the Midwest winter.

I'm currently torn between two Seville's. An 03 SLS with 64k miles for 6200 bucks, or a 98 STS with 117k for 3100. Literally half price. I have till Friday to make the decision as that's payday. I like the STS more as it's got a sunroof but with the miles I'm concerned with sensors going out, as the reason I'm not in it now is the oil pressure sensor had to be changed.

Found the SLS as a recent trade in at a Honda dealer! Thing looks and smells new. I like having cash in my pocket, but hard to pass up a good deal.

Quick Reply: SLS vs. STS