Cadillac Seville The Cadillac luxury combined with a performance sedan feel

2001 Seville STS - Electrical Gremlins (among other things)

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2021, 04:43 PM
Default 2001 Seville STS - Electrical Gremlins (among other things)

Hello friends!

Happy owner of a beautiful White Diamond 2001 STS. Only 155K on the odo and the Northstar has plenty of life but it does have some areas to address.

The biggest issue right now as I am in Florida is a problem with the AC system. The blend doors seem to be working but they go into panic mode and go to defrost only. Not sure if vacuum or an actuator. Replaced the easy actuator on the passenger side but that did not do the trick. Actually, it allowed the system to reset at startup so I at least get a glimmer of hope when the dash and knee vents open for a couple of seconds. Do you think it is the driver side actuator or vacuum? or Both?

Second biggest issue which is intermittent but persistent. Noticing more after driving when car is warm. Say I run an errand and come back out. The car starts but I lose all secondary electrical. Basically, the fuel gauge flips to E, the radio goes out, the door locks go, just about every warning comes up (Air bag, stability control, traction control, ABS, etc), including battery. Checked the batter and alternator using a scan tool and no fault codes for electrical come up. There are others but they are related to possibly sensors. Car says it is in limp home mode but the issue has no bearing on driveability. Leads me to possibly a loose connection somewhere, either the main CPU or something fuse/battery related. Reason I suspect electrical is a do have a damp smell in the cabin and trunk and see a little pool of water near the battery which tells me there is a leak somewhere, probably the seal around the rear window. Anyways, one thing at a time. Has anyone seen this type of electrical issue.

I will end with, I absolutely love this car and will put money in as long as the boss lets me. The 20 plus year old technology pretty much still works so I am impressed. However, my goal is to have it safe enough to have the boys in so I will get all the rubber and brakes and an overall tune up done but the AC and electrical are making me nuts.

Thanks in advance! I look forward to getting my hands and brain dirty!

Jim

Old 10-07-2021, 03:46 PM
Default Might have fixed own problems

A tightening of the ground, a cleanup of all corrosion, and an alternator rebuild may have conquered most of the electrical gremlins!