Cadillac Forum - Enthusiast forums for Cadillac Owners

Cadillac Forum - Enthusiast forums for Cadillac Owners (https://www.cadillacforum.com/forum/)
-   Cadillac PininFarina Allante (https://www.cadillacforum.com/forum/cadillac-pininfarina-allante-26/)
-   -   top 25 items of maintenance (https://www.cadillacforum.com/forum/cadillac-pininfarina-allante-26/top-25-items-maintenance-2143/)

Stealth 03-17-2007 05:08 AM

top 25 items of maintenance

Twenty-Five important items/maintenance to do on ‘87 to ‘92 models:

1. Get a FACTORY SERVICE MANUAL.
2. Get a OWNER’s MANUAL.
3. Check torque of wheel lug-nuts, several incidents reported.
4. Check performance of ABS ac***ulator and ABS pump.
5. flush brake fluid from pump and master cylinder.
6. Replace brake hoses at wheels and ABS relay at 75,000 miles.
7. Drain coolant (do NOT flush) and refill with 50/50 mix. Engine seals tend to fail.
8. flush HEATER and its hoses.
9. Replace hoses, serpentine belt. Carry a spare belt.
10. Replace wipers. Carry a spare set, hard to find.
11. Drain transmission fluid (do NOT flush), refill and replace filter.
12. Remove soft top “helper springs”. They break the boot well.
13. Carry a jumper for the VATS ignition on ‘89 and newer. When it fails, you are stuck.
14. Modify the top pull down motor assy. Carry instructions of how to repair.
15. Install a boot-cover restraint system to avoid accidental opening.
16. Lotion seats (use formula with: lanolin, mink oil & neatsfoot oil). Repair as needed.
17. Replace spark plugs with platinum plugs. Also replace primary wires.
18. Find & test manual releases: parking brake, fuel door, trunk release, trunk partition.
19. Clean all electrical contacts you can pull and apply die-electric-lub.
20. Clean the door latches.
21. Lubricate the soft top weatherstrip with Dupont
Krytox®. It is EXPENSIVE to replace.
22. Repair frayed edges, cables, rips, holes on soft top. Waterproof canvas.
23. Check the spare tire. Often it is flat.
24. Inspect tail light bulbs, assure they are well mounted in the sockets. Arrays tend to melt.
25. Lubricate all latches/hinges in hood, trunk, also lub antenna mast, door hinges, etc. (do NOT lub door latches which must be free of oil).

some of these may also apply to the '93s ...

stomper 04-29-2008 01:31 PM

RE: top 25 items of maintenance

26 - Add a 14oz bottle of LUCAS Transmission fluid.

27 - Wax the tail lights and headlights.

G.A.R.Y. 04-29-2008 04:07 PM

93's skip one through six. Actually owners manual is a good thing to have, you won't need fsm.

lol

jim 05-23-2008 09:24 PM

Have at least one beer between each step listed!

DAR 09-19-2008 04:53 PM

Stealth: This is a great list and I've started by ordering the owners manual, the shop service manual and the codes. I have a general question regarding spark plug replacement on my '88. On a scale of 1 to 10, how would you describe replacing the sparkplug on this vehicle? Based on my initial investigation it looks like about a 15. The side towards the firewall looks particularly challlenging. Also, what is the cause for melted light sockets? Is that a voltage problem or just normal expectations. Thanks for your expertice...DAR

Stealth 09-20-2008 12:54 AM

ORIGINAL: DAR

Stealth: This is a great list and I've started by ordering the owners manual, the shop service manual and the codes. I have a general question regarding spark plug replacement on my '88. On a scale of 1 to 10, how would you describe replacing the sparkplug on this vehicle? Based on my initial investigation it looks like about a 15. The side towards the firewall looks particularly challlenging. Also, what is the cause for melted light sockets? Is that a voltage problem or just normal expectations. Thanks for your expertice...DAR

We have seen many instances where the plugs after 15+ years, bond themselves to the block. I say plugs and wires is top 3, and as long as they are getting done, do it right with plat plugs.

melted light sockets main reason? wrong bulbs and/or improper installation.
From the "Allante XYZ Facts" ; The proper bulb is 2057 with a BRASS base ( the 1057 bulbs tend to damage the light arrays).

also, allow me to add #28

28. Buy a Diagnostic System Pocket Manual (codes book).

toolmaker 10-23-2008 10:17 AM

"21. Lubricate the soft top weatherstrip. It is EXPENSIVE to replace."

Stealth 10-23-2008 02:39 PM

ORIGINAL: toolmaker

"21. Lubricate the soft top weatherstrip. It is EXPENSIVE to replace."

Any suggestions on what product use for weatherstrips? My manual says dielectric grease. I think there are diff`t types.(?)

What do you think about strut "boots"? Should they be coated too? My `92 (winter driven)rear struts, [bodies]had lot of surface corrosion.
Thanks
Dielectric grease? no!

Good point, so I went back and edited.
Krytox is inert, indefinite shelf life and was developed for Morton Thiokol Shuttle Space program ..

=============================================

Twenty-Five important items/maintenance to do on ‘87 to ‘92 models:

2. Get a OWNER’s MANUAL.
7. Drain coolant (do NOT flush) and refill with 50/50 mix. Engine seals tend to fail.
13. Carry a jumper for the VATS ignition on ‘89 and newer. When it fails, you are stuck.
16. Lotion seats (use formula with: lanolin, mink oil & neatsfoot oil). Repair as needed.
18. Find & test manual releases: parking brake, fuel door, trunk release, trunk partition.
21. Lubricate the soft top weatherstrip with Dupont Krytox®. It is EXPENSIVE to replace.
24. Inspect tail light bulbs, assure they are well mounted in the sockets. Arrays tend to melt.
25. Lubricate all latches/hinges in hood, trunk, also lub antenna mast, door hinges, etc. (do NOT lub door latches which must be free of oil).

hyperion 10-27-2008 10:27 AM

Something else that just might apply because it's fall and thoughts of laying up some cars.
I was in "West Marine" last week and discovered that "Sta-bil" has just added a new product to their line. A formulation to take care of the problems which have been occurringwith thestorage of the new 10% enthanol mandated gas.

Stealth 10-27-2008 10:53 PM

ORIGINAL: hyperion

Something else that just might apply because it's fall and thoughts of laying up some cars.
I was in "West Marine" last week and discovered that "Sta-bil" has just added a new product to their line. A formulation to take care of the problems which have been occurringwith thestorage of the new 10% enthanol mandated gas.
excellent point ...

===============

STA-BIL, America’s top selling fuel stabilizer, is a blend of scientific additives that prevents fuel from deteriorating so engines start quickly and easily after storage. should be used in any vehicle or power equipment that is used infrequently or stored for more than 60 days. Also, treat fuel in gas cans or storage tanks as soon as purchased so fuel will stay fresh. STA-BIL Fuel Stabilizer ensures quick, easy starts in all 2 & 4 cycle engines. It is safe to use in all cars, trucks, SUV’s, boat motors, marine engines, tractors, motorhomes, motorcycles, ATV’s, snowmobiles, jet skis, lawnmowers, snow blowers, tillers, weed trimmers, golf carts, power washers and generators. Use in gas, gas/oil mixtures, oxygenated fuel, reformulated gas, and diesel fuel.

One ounce of STA-BIL Fuel Stabilizer will keep 2-1/2 gallons of fuel fresh for 12 months. Using twice the recommended dosage will keep fuel fresh for up to 24 months.

Twenty-Five PLUS important items/maintenance to do on ‘87 to ‘92 models:

2. Get a OWNER’s MANUAL.
21. Lubricate the soft top weatherstrip with Dupont Krytox®. It is EXPENSIVE to replace.

29. Make sure that you dont store car with a full tank full of fuel (with E85 ethanol) that turns to GELATIN or varnish.