Cadillac PininFarina Allante A joint venture with Coachbuilder PininFarina to design and build the Cadillac two top convertible roadster of the 1980's.

Aftermarket Fuel Injectors

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2018, 05:04 PM
Default Aftermarket Fuel Injectors

I have a 1991 Allante with 19,000 miles. It has one bad injector. The garage working on the car gave me the option of just having them replace the one bad injector or replace all eight. OK, here's the dilemma I have.

I may be able to get away with replacing just that one but if another one goes bad next week or next month, I have to pay the labor to change it again. And in that case, I would imagine I would just replace all of them to prevent paying labor to change them again. OK, so I had almost decided to replace all eight and not pay the labor except for one time. Then they told me the price of the injectors. The shop doing the work is a NAPA Service Center and as such they will warrant all the labor at the shop for two years/24,000 miles plus whatever the warranty is on the parts they supply from NAPA. But they informed me the injectors would be $117 each which is $936 plus tax which is a lot! NAPA warrants their injectors for three years/36,000 miles. I looked on the NAPA website and the price for the injectors there is $86 each. And I understand the garage does not sell the parts for the same price as NAPA. I'm not disputing that fact.

So, I called Allante Source in West Palm Beach to discuss this with them. They said they have rebuilt Bosch brand injectors for $35 each and they work very well. But they have no warranty. AND if I use the parts from Allante Source, I also will have NO warranty on the labor the shop provides as they only warrant parts they supply.

So, my questions are:
1-Have any of you guys used the used injectors from Allante Source and if so, how did they perform?
2-Have any of you guys used the new injectors from NAPA and if so, how did they perform?
3-Considering the warranty factors and the price factors, which of the two brands of injectors would YOU personally go with?

Thank you very much for your thoughts on this.

Old 04-21-2018, 01:22 PM

Fuel injectors are pretty basic devices. There is not a lot to them that can go bad. Many folk have/do use rebuilt injectors with success. If this is a daily driver I might think twice about going with rebuilts. If this is an "occasional use" car I would not hesitate to go with rebuilt injectors.

Dick H. at Allante Source would not steer you wrong. He knows of what he speaks.

Old 04-21-2018, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by OldsD88
Fuel injectors are pretty basic devices. There is not a lot to them that can go bad. Many folk have/do use rebuilt injectors with success. If this is a daily driver I might think twice about going with rebuilts. If this is an "occasional use" car I would not hesitate to go with rebuilt injectors.

Dick H. at Allante Source would not steer you wrong. He knows of what he speaks.
I agree with you 100% about Dick H. and his products. But my point is would it be worth losing the 2 year/24,000 mile labor warranty to go with those from Allante Source in order to save money on the injectors? I'm sure his injectors are as good as the new ones. But............................................... ................

Old 04-22-2018, 10:19 AM

What I am reading here is that you do not have either the inclination, skills or tools to do the injector change yourself. If that be correct than no, it is not worth the loss of the 2 yr/24K mile labor warranty. With that you get "peace of mind," and that is worth something.

Old 04-22-2018, 11:27 AM

Yes, sir, you are correct. I have neither the inclination, skills or tools to do the injector change myself. Additionally, I am almost 66 years old and not in the best of health. So, changing them myself is out of the question.

Old 04-28-2018, 05:03 PM

That being the case, go with "peace of mind" and have your shop do it and get the warranty.

Old 04-28-2018, 10:01 PM

Thank you, guys for your responses. I did decide to have the shop install the new NAPA injectors for peace of mind. One other factor is that the car was going to be there for several days. During that time, we had two solid days of downpouring rain. Those guys were kind enough to leave the car inside for me while they waited for the parts to arrive. And in fact, they finished with the car a day before the rain stopped and they still were kind enough to leave it inside. I just sort of doubt they would have done that if I had bought my parts from someone else. I'm sure they would have liked to have the stall space for other cars to be worked on.

So, I guess it all worked out for the best. The car runs perfectly. It has never run this well since I have owned it which has been over 6 years.

Thanks again.

Attached Thumbnails Aftermarket Fuel Injectors-pict0009.jpg