Cadillac Forum - Enthusiast forums for Cadillac Owners

Cadillac Forum - Enthusiast forums for Cadillac Owners (https://www.cadillacforum.com/forum/)
-   Cadillac PininFarina Allante (https://www.cadillacforum.com/forum/cadillac-pininfarina-allante-26/)
-   -   1990 Allante Rear Latching Probelms (https://www.cadillacforum.com/forum/cadillac-pininfarina-allante-26/1990-allante-rear-latching-probelms-6547/)

detailking 07-13-2008 11:29 AM

1990 Allante Rear Latching Probelms

Hello I just purchased a 1990 Allante with 80K on it. I cannot get the convertible motor to engage when the hook from the conv top makes contact. I see sparks but it will not pull down. The motor does work when I have the cover and top up and take a wrench from the motor bolts to the ground wire. I think my ground wire may be broken internally about an inch from the screw connection. Not sure if that is a good description of my problem. The motor works, just not when the hook and the latch make contact. Thanks for any future help.

stomper 07-13-2008 03:08 PM

RE: 1990 Allante Rear Latching Probelms

ORIGINAL: detailking

Hello I just purchased a 1990 Allante with 80K on it. I cannot get the convertible motor to engage when the hook from the conv top makes contact. I see sparks but it will not pull down. The motor does work when I have the cover and top up and take a wrench from the motor bolts to the ground wire. I think my ground wire may be broken internally about an inch from the screw connection. Not sure if that is a good description of my problem. The motor works, just not when the hook and the latch make contact. Thanks for any future help.

before you do anything, using the switch in the UNDERSIDE of the top cover, see if it works.
if it does, wiring should be OK .. then try this:

1. Using the switch at the underside of the top cover, make sure the pull-down is all the way UP.
2. make sure the hook is OPEN.
3. Latch the front of the Top.
4. Bring the top's rear down firmly into the rear latch, the hook should close around it, keep firm down pressure as all this is happening. The pull down should start pulling it down until it is all the way down and clicks. DO NOT SLAM the top, you will break stuff.

IF the pull down is damaged a replacement can be had .. there are several avenues depending on what kind of guy you are.

1. parts from the trunk pull downs of several GM cars and Lincolns share SOME parts for the Allante pulldown.
carnut can give more details.
2. ebay ...
3. Dick at allantesource

carnut 07-13-2008 06:17 PM

E mail me. I'll spell it out for you. click onto my poster name here to do so.

carnut 07-13-2008 07:01 PM

Did you know you have the separate switch under the ledge the boot cover closes on? Its about 6 inches in from the left side of the ledge. Its there to pull down the aluminum hard top because the hard top cannt ground thru the latch.