Help please, I have an opportunity to buy a fleetwood and know nothing about it.

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2017, 07:23 PM
Default Help please, I have an opportunity to buy a fleetwood and know nothing about it.

So, my great grandfather passed and left his fleetwood to his estate. He was a very wealthy ND farmer who's estate is worth almost 10 Million.

In his garage is, (What I have been told) is a 1990 Fleetwood "custom" with 25k original miles. Has always been is garage and never driven on gravel roads etc.
I have been told it was customized from the factory, all the bells and whistles, extra chrome everywhere, even had his name custom made on the car. I'm sure he spared no expense I guess is the point I'm trying to make.

So, the story goes, no one in the family wants it. I tried to research what a fleetwood custom is I couldn't find much. I have seen the de-elegence and other from packages etc.

My question is, is this car potentially worth more than a standard fleetwood? Seems they go for about $2,500 or so. If so what should I look for? I would probably have to buy it sigh unseen since it's 500 miles away from me so I'm looking for any advice possible. I know the car is black and has cloth interior. I was told the motor is a 4.6l but I don't know how reliable that info is since according to my research, a 1990 should have a 5.7l?

Please ask any question you can think of and I'll do my best to find out.

thanks!

Sam

Old 04-17-2017, 07:38 PM
Tech Certified Members

The Fleetwood 60 Special is front wheel drive. Uses a 4.5L engine - Not the Northstar. The Fleetwood brougham is rear wheel drive. Uses a 5.0L Oldsmobile carbureted engine. Pricewise either would be a good deal.

Old 04-17-2017, 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by slowroll
The Fleetwood 60 Special is front wheel drive. Uses a 4.5L engine - Not the Northstar. The Fleetwood brougham is rear wheel drive. Uses a 5.0L Oldsmobile carbureted engine. Pricewise either would be a good deal.
ok, so I'll assume it's the FWD 4.5l. That does help make more sense. My intention would be to purchase it, go through and make sure it in tip top shape and re-sell it. What be the going rate for a minty low miles one of these?

Old 04-17-2017, 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by slowroll

Actually, after googling the Fleetwood 60 special. Those seem to have to 90's body style not the classic 80's look. Now I'm even more confused. I'm am going to have to ask my grandma to stop over and send me some pictures. Thanks for your help so far, I'll try and get more details.

Old 04-18-2017, 11:37 AM
Tech Certified Members

The 85-88 were boxy. The 89-93 look more like a Cadillac. The sixty special was the long factory based limo's from the past. So, yes they are loaded. Buying cars to flip can be risky, even with the low miles, good luck