Cadillac Forum - Enthusiast forums for Cadillac Owners

Cadillac Forum - Enthusiast forums for Cadillac Owners (https://www.cadillacforum.com/forum/)
-   Cadillac Fleetwood (https://www.cadillacforum.com/forum/cadillac-fleetwood-32/)
-   -   1996 smog pump not working (https://www.cadillacforum.com/forum/cadillac-fleetwood-32/1996-smog-pump-not-working-18830/)

quadcad 01-27-2019 10:23 PM

1996 smog pump not working

Check engine light came on, code says secondary air, 0410. Checked fuse and relay and then energized pump and found no air coming out of it
even though it does run.
I see on Ebay some fool wants $765 for a pump but most other sources are more reasonable 100 to 200 dollars.
Will try to disassemble if possible and see if I can locate the pumps problem, unless it's sealed or has a broken vane .

quadcad 01-29-2019 03:03 PM

follow up

the pump is sealed not only with silicone beads but also integral tabs that are difficult to defeat.
The pump works but, the internal air stop valve opens and then shuts closed choking off air.
It appears it doesn't open far enough to overcome air pressure of out going air.
It either is too weak or something keeps it from opening fully to a hold open position.
I don't want to break tabs to get inside but the core is only 20 bucks, and worth it if it can be salvaged.
Napa has to order it and @ 160+core and tax I'm still thinking.
Such a waste of money and time for something that does almost nothing for pollution control...thanks smog nazis

quadcad 01-29-2019 08:33 PM

oye vey, I didnt know reference to ww2 enemy was verboten

quadcad 01-31-2019 03:39 PM

follow up2

took it apart accidentally broke a few tabs but it requires lots of silicone to seal it, so it shouldn't be a problem. Couldn't find anything wrong except loose
filter around solenoid(does almost nothing), so leaving it out as I re-assemble
It could have been made much easier to open but, intended to remove and replace.
No one stocks it, expensive if you find it and it is again like many parts for 1996 fleetwood are discontinued and obsolete.

quadcad 02-05-2019 11:11 PM

after re-assembling solenoid stuck intermittently, so I took it apart again and removed rubber seal,washer and spring .
Now it required a external diverter valve, I found a DV130 (standard ignition) diverter would work and also a VS27(standard ignition) vacuum switch to trigger it.
The vs27 is the same switch that controls the EGR valve so it was a perfect match to used a second one for the diverter valve. I merely inserted DV130 between
pump and hose to manifold and connected switch to solenoid circuit and disabled internal solenoid. Connected vacuum line from vs27 port to dv130 and tee'd off
vacuum port on engine manifold. It worked fine but, the true test of course will be the check engine staying off and no more code 0410.
DV130 costs about $50 and VS27 costs about $40 and S575 is connecter for VS27 costs about $20 and some vac hose and tee and some 5/8 smog hose.
Now I didn't save too much since a replacement pump would have been around 150-200 but it was the fact that I couldn't find one (discontinued everywhere).