Cadillac Forum - Enthusiast forums for Cadillac Owners

Cadillac Forum - Enthusiast forums for Cadillac Owners (https://www.cadillacforum.com/forum/)
-   Cadillac EXT (https://www.cadillacforum.com/forum/cadillac-ext-14/)
-   -   Help again in Jamaica please (https://www.cadillacforum.com/forum/cadillac-ext-14/help-again-jamaica-please-5113/)

Lucky in Jamaica 01-29-2008 08:50 AM

Help again in Jamaica please

Hello, I have recieved great help from this forum in the past and would like to thank those mechanics in advance for their time and understanding. My 2004 Escalade EXT has retired to Jamaica with me. I have been told that in order to allign the truck properly, that I need two "rack ends" and one lower ball joint for the left end. I also need two disc brakes for the hand break (or what I call the emergency foot break). I would like to buy them on line or have one of my family members buy them in Jacksonville, Florida and send them to me fed ex. Can I simply ask my brother to go to auto zone in florida and buy these parts that I have named? Is this the best course of action? Or, should I call Claude Nolan Cadillac dealership (the place I bought my truck) and buy the parts from them?
Again, thank you for your time and response in advance. One Love!

rickyd 01-29-2008 09:48 AM

RE: Help again in Jamaica please

LiJ....trying to catch up with my welcome to the Forum hellos...... just read your 1st post, and this one....... i agree with slowroll to buy on main land, ( less $$$ ) however, if your going to stay in JAMICA you probobly want to find a wrench,(tech) that you can trust and work with. again welcome to the Forum....hope to see ya round oh, i'll call you "jam" from now on k?

Lucky in Jamaica 01-29-2008 06:48 PM

Yes, you can call me Jam. Thank you for your response.
I'll call to get the parts in the morning. I will ask for two rack ends, a lower ball joint for the left side and two disc brakes for the hand brake (parking foot brake). Will the person I am asking need any further information other than the make and model of this car?
I thought brakes needed break pads. If the break pads are not replaced in a timely manner than a new disc must be bought as well. Should I be buying break pads as well for the foot brake?
Because I am so green about buying parts, and I am on a budget, I don't want to pay more than I should. Is it possible for you to estimate how much these should cost?
I must say, driving Lucky in the States was an amazing feeling. Driving it in Jamaica truly makes me feel like I am floating through paradise!

slowroll 01-29-2008 07:43 PM

Still waiting for plane ticket....

To replace parking brake shoes, rear rotors have to come off. So installing new pads is not a big deal. Rack ends I'm guessing are tie rod ends. EXt shares many parts with chevy light trucks if there is a supplier there. If your having to get parts from the mainland try to as many spare parts as you can at one time. things like belt,filters,bulbs,etc. See if cruise lines who frenquent there offer shipping which could reduce your frieght costs. There is a gm dealer in the Cayman Islands Advanced Automotive in George Town see if they be able to help with parts.