Cadillac Eldorado This classic Caddy still stands today for complete luxury.

Where did they hide the PCV?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2008, 01:46 PM
Default Where did they hide the PCV?

Where should I look to find my PCV on an '02 Eldorado North Star? I suspect that it may be stuck open. My exhaust tips are oily and I have performed the WOT procedure several times to un stick the rings. I seem to be using about 1 quart every thousand miles, which seems a little high to me. I have cleaned the throttle body and found that to be oily also. Any other suggestions other than the PCV? Thanks.

Old 01-11-2008, 07:43 PM
Tech Certified Members
Default RE: Where did they hide the PCV?

Pcv valve on rear valve cover on passenger side. 1 qt in 1k miles is high, oil rings are likely stuck. Depending on miles and length of ownership may be able to get factory assist. Same family = 1 owner. If no help you could try GM top engine cleaner - follow instructions on can and do WOT til exhaust cleans up. Then once a week see if it helps. There is a squid procedure which is a more aggressive decarboning procedure will cost 400-600.00. Decarboning is an attempt to use a chemical to desolve carbon and free rings and correct oil consumption. Lastly re-ring and pistons $$$$.

Old 01-11-2008, 10:50 PM
Tech Certified Members

ORIGINAL: Virginia John

Where should I look to find my PCV on an '02 Eldorado North Star? I suspect that it may be stuck open. My exhaust tips are oily and I have performed the WOT procedure several times to un stick the rings. I seem to be using about 1 quart every thousand miles, which seems a little high to me. I have cleaned the throttle body and found that to be oily also. Any other suggestions other than the PCV? Thanks.
excellent reason to perform the WOT BEFORE it happens .. as slowroll stated.

Old 01-15-2008, 09:18 AM

I am the second owner. I got the car about 7 months ago with 63,000 miles. I have done the WOT several times including this morning. No carbon smoke appears that is why I wanted to try the PCV, hopefully it is sticking open. If not, then it is on to the chemicals. Thanks for your good advice, keep it coming.

Old 02-24-2008, 05:04 PM

I went looking for the PCV valve today without success. I remioved the plenum cover and found what I thought was the PCV valve on the rear valve cover on the right side of the engine. It had a plastic hose with a rubber connection that went to something that resembled a PCV valve, however, thisPCV looking thing connected to the valve cover did not want to be removed. It was all I could do to twist it with a pair of channel lock pliers. The front valve cover also has a plastic tub running to it with a rubber connection to the same port looking thing that is on the rear valve cover on the left side of the engine.

My question is still "where is the PCV?" If this thing on the rear valve cover is it, how do I remove it?

Thanks.

Old 11-06-2009, 03:23 PM
Smile "Squid" procedure

For those of you who are not aware, the Northstar is very suseptable to carbon build up. That is why they came up with the "WOT", wide open throttle procedure that we all love. However, if your carbon deposits are such that the "WOT" and off-the-shelf chemicals are not affecting it, then it may be time for the "Squid" procedure. I originally heard of this from SLOWROLL, not sure if he is still on this forum. The "Squid" procedure is a canister placed on top of the engine with hoses running into the cylinders and a fluid is pumped into the cylinders to disolve the carbon. The process takes several hours and the oil must be changed afterwards for the contaminants that made it into the crankcase. It may also be a good time to change the plugs, since they had to be removed anyway.

My 2002 ETC had been dropping a about quart of oil every 700 miles and was knocking when first strated it in the morning all due to carbon build up. After the "Squid" procedure there is no more oil loss and no more knocking and the engine is like new. Thanks SLOWROLL.

Old 11-06-2009, 06:02 PM
Super Moderator

slowroll is very much part of this site, and I for one, grateful that he remains so.

thank you for the update - it helps to know that some of our work pays off.

SQUID:

https://www.cadillacforum.com/forum/...ighlight=Squid

Last edited by Stealth; 11-06-2009 at 06:08 PM.