Cadillac Forum - Enthusiast forums for Cadillac Owners

Cadillac Forum - Enthusiast forums for Cadillac Owners (https://www.cadillacforum.com/forum/)
-   Cadillac DTS (https://www.cadillacforum.com/forum/cadillac-dts-31/)
-   -   2000 cadi dts overheating problem (https://www.cadillacforum.com/forum/cadillac-dts-31/2000-cadi-dts-overheating-problem-12231/)

marlow.bailey@gmail.com 06-05-2011 01:04 AM

2000 cadi dts overheating problem

I have a 2000 Cadi DTS that I'm in love with. Despite the overing heating issues I'm having I'm not willing to give up just yet. At 1st the car only over heated when driving in the city. Highway driving not over heating. So I did a Flush and Changed the Thermostat. Now my check coolant light comes on after 11mins of driving (yes i timed it). So i changed the water pump. The check coolant still comes on however when i check the coolant its full. (confused face) and now the car overheats just a little when idle but when you give it gas the temp drops back to regular. Also head the radiator check and there are no leaks... The A/C and heat work perfectly. Also no head gasket issues. HELPPPPPPPPPPP

gmtechs 06-06-2011 02:41 PM

1st what is overheating to u ? ( what is the temp?)
did u use a 50/50 mix ?
did u bleed air pockets out?
the bottle level sticks may need cleaning or a good knock?
when u start the car and running is bottle still full ?

marlow.bailey@gmail.com 06-06-2011 03:07 PM

1st what is overheating to u ? ( what is the temp?) --- its never fully over heats it drops down to the second line before red.

did u use a 50/50 mix ?----- i use 2.5 gallons of reg and the rest water.

did u bleed air pockets out?----- i have no clue how to do that please explain

the bottle level sticks may need cleaning or a good knock?---- how??

when u start the car and running is bottle still full ?---- yes

gmtechs 06-07-2011 06:32 AM

If the vehicle does not hit the red line its not overheating-just running a little hot

so u need to check and make sure u put the right thermostat in ( opening temp)
check and make sure the fan is coming on not in a/c mode or defrost mode

to bleed system u need to leave bottle cap off turn inside fan to full and heat to max
when the thermostat opens u should see the coolant drop down and need topping up this occurs when vehicle is at operating temperature.

just tap on the bottle near the bottom to free any debris on level sensor

marlow.bailey@gmail.com 06-07-2011 08:28 AM

I purchased the thermostat from autozone. i'm assuming its the correct one for the car... how would i know if it isnt?

I will try bleeding the system tonight and update you with the results later on today.

the cooling fans was going to my next post.... i notice yesterday the fans do come on however the speed is very slow... even when the car is idle and running hot the fans kick on but the speed is slow... so i'm thinking about just having them both replaced..

My check coolant level still comes on after driving for a little how do i get that stop?

gmtechs 06-07-2011 12:26 PM

when it comes on open the bottle slowly and check level it could be low
when the car starts it draws coolant into the system and when it shuts off it pushes it back into the bottle, so the question is? is the bottle full after car warms up and running?
the fan will adjust according to heat in engine

marlow.bailey@gmail.com 06-10-2011 01:50 AM

i tried bleeding the system however when the car running at normal temp the bottle is still full. and it still runs hot however when i give the car gas it drops back down to the normal temp... this is really confusing.... i'm not sure what else there is to do.. do you have any suggestions.

marlow.bailey@gmail.com 06-10-2011 02:01 AM

do you know anything about a purge line?? guy a work was trying to explain but really didnt make sense to me.

gmtechs 06-10-2011 06:27 AM

ok does the sensor light still come on
when the vehicle overheats or get hot could u take a picture of the gauges and post it

and does it drop alot?

by stepping on the thottle u sped up the engine and the water pump is connected to it so it speeds up and coolant flows quicker

r u sure there is no leaks
there is a pipe that goes from water pump back connected to block it leaks at times
there also is a connector toward the rear which leaks

floor mats r dry both sides driver and passenger side?
u dont smell coolant?

try this leave cap off warm vehicle up
what happens in the bottle does it move go up and down or just sits there?

do u smell any type of engine combustion coming out the bottle?

marlow.bailey@gmail.com 06-10-2011 07:16 AM

the check coolant light is the only light that comes on when after driving for a lil while *under 10 mins* i will post a pic of how much it runs hot when idle later on today.

i'm not sure if there arent any leaks from the water pump pipe. Should that been something noticed when having the water pump changed?

the floor mats on both sides are dry to my knowledge. and i dont smell coolant until the car runs hot only on the outside i dont smell it coming thur the vents.

i did leave the cap off last night and let it get to normal temp to try to bleed the system and once the car started to run hot the coolant started to overflow just a little bit and i saw bubbles.

didnt smell anything coming from the bottle however i did seem a little steam when the car started to over heat a little.

also could one the the coolant pipes be clogged.causing the flow of coolant not to flow correctly? and then i give it gas it pushes the coolant pass the clogged? unless leaking like you said thanks again for all your help