Cadillac Deville The flagship luxury car, offering the class with which the Cadillac has been associated, for decades

Roasted Wiring

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2008, 09:59 PM
Default Roasted Wiring

Hey Guys,

New to the forum....please hold the applaus. I have a question on my 93 Deville. Once upon a time the airconditioning worked. One day the compressor appeared to "lockup" from over pressure and it burned the clutch wire all the way back to the fuse block, melting the wire and fuse to the fuse block. To this day I cant operate the CCS on auto or it will happen again. Has anybody heard of this before?
It looks like I will need a new fuse panel to restore this to factory original, plus a new AC system. Has anybody been through this, and roughly how much with this cost (Im assuming your corner "shop" wont be good enough and you have to send it to the dealership)
Also, my security light flashes all the time when the key is out of the ignition. And the key fob doesnt work on the car anymore....any suggestions?

Old 03-08-2008, 10:57 AM
Default RE: Roasted Wiring

Hi Kevin,
it sounds like the clutch was starting to draw too much current due to a short and has blown the fuse one or more times and then was overfused out of irritation or for lack of a proper sized one. Subsequently the AC clutch finally dead shorted and as the fuse could carry more amperage than the wiring, the wiring became the fuse. I suspect it started out as a simple case of a bad AC clutch, if you replace it and the wiring you should be good to go. If the section of the fuse block that holds the AC fuse can not be saved, you could find a section on the block that isn't being used (there are many) and wire the AC to this one. Any garage could do this, you don't need to take it to a dealer.

As far as the key fob is concerned, about the only real check you can do yourself is to measure the voltage of the battery in it or just replace the battery, which I'm sure you have already done. If your handy try this http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/remote_repair.htm
it has worked for me several times.

As to the security light flashing when the keys not in the ignition, are you certain its not supposed to do this? I don't have this feature but a friend does and his flashes all the time until a key is inserted same as yours.

PS Great name,
Regards Kevin