Cadillac Deville The flagship luxury car, offering the class with which the Cadillac has been associated, for decades

Please help! 1988 cadillac sedan deville turn signal switch is broken

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2017, 07:22 PM
Default Please help! 1988 cadillac sedan deville turn signal switch is broken

I have an 1988 cadillac deville. The problem is that my turn sit an switch is broken inside the steering wheel. Well I thought it would be an easy fix but believe it or not, the steering wheel will not come off. Yes I have tried everything to get it off. I even went to another mechanic who tried to get it off and was unable ti. It is like it is welded in or something. Since I can't get the wheel off I was jist going to replace the entire column but I can not find a steering column to fit to save my life. Does any one know how I could install some sort of switches in order to use my turn signals? I'm open to any ideas and suggestions. I even thought about installing some aftermarket turn signal lights but I'm still debating that. Please help.

Old 05-19-2017, 12:31 PM
Tech Certified Members

You could plug new switch in and lay the switch out of the way until you can repair/replace column. You would has to turn switch on and off since uninstalled it can cancel on it's own.

Old 05-19-2017, 10:01 PM

Thanks slowroll. That is a great idea. I will try that tomorrow. I ordered the part so hopefully I will be able to plug it in and use it. I will let you know.

Old 05-21-2017, 05:58 PM

So...i tried the new harness. It worked as for as being able to manually switch the turn signals on and off. But since I can not hook it up in the steering wheel, the horn does not work or the hazard lights. I guess that switch has to be touching some metal parts in the steering wheel or column. So I was thinking....is there any way I can plug up a switch the the turn signal wires on the original harness? If I can find the wires, how do they work? When you turn on the turn signal light, which wires activate in order to turn them on?

Old 05-23-2017, 09:42 AM
Tech Certified Members

the cam switch right or left for turn signal. the little square button with a screw hole is for the hazards. inside the little tower is the contact for horn, there are 2 exposed contacts on top are for key reminder