Cadillac Deville The flagship luxury car, offering the class with which the Cadillac has been associated, for decades

Hesitates when starting

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2007, 10:12 AM
Default Hesitates when starting

I have a 1994 Cadillac Deville 4.9 L. The car hesitates when trying to re-start the car. For instance, I can first start the car when cold and it does great, but after allowing it to warm up, if I shut the car off and try to restart it the starter struggles to turn over. Sometimes nothing happens (lights, radio, electronicswork) but starter won't turn over. In this situation, I turn the ignition off and try again, which usually starts but struggles to turn over.I replaced the starter, new battery and cleaned the battery cables. I noticed another 1994 cadillac deville had the same problem, whenthe person tried to re-start the car at a gas station. It hesitated to start as well. Does anyone have an idea of what it could be? Is this just a design flaw with devilles?

Old 10-02-2007, 11:00 AM
Tech Certified Members
Default RE: Hesitates when starting

how many miles on the car? did you replace the battery, and starter, recently because of this hesitation?

Old 10-02-2007, 11:38 AM

It has 112K miles. I did replace the battery, starter and clean the cables because of this problem.

Old 10-02-2007, 11:55 AM
Tech Certified Members

devillerunfoever..... ?????? you hang in there....one of the Tech will comment shortly....... have you been to Member Introduction yet?.....
rickyd

Old 10-06-2007, 10:27 PM
Super Moderator

Often a hot start problem is related to either a dirty or clogged air filter or a fuel delivery issue with fuel not reaching the injectors which could point to something as simple as a fuel filter needing replacement. You have eliminated the battery, connections and starter by recently serving them so there is no way it is the starter itself.

Old 11-11-2007, 11:12 AM

I took your suggestion and replaced the fuel filter and air filter. Unfortunately, it still has the same problem of hesitating when trying to start hot. I took it to a local mechanic and he swore it was a weak battery, so I let him replace it and that didn't help. It starts-up great when the engine is cold, but after I drive around town, shut off to run an errand, and start the car it hesitates creating a moaning sound and finally starts after 3 - 5 seconds of this. I am running out of ideas!!

Old 11-11-2007, 12:21 PM
Tech Certified Members

Check battery cables.Check where negitive attaches to block.Check both for corrosion with in the casing. If you have battery cable end kits on cables, you need new cables If you see green or reddish color on the copper cable if it exposed - you need a cable. It's also possible new starter is not up to the task. A better quality one may necessary.

Old 11-19-2007, 04:30 PM

I cleaned the battery cables. Positive cable had a lot of rust on it and cleaned it off throughly. When I tightened the negative cable - thebolt went in half way and then popped loose. Come to find out thebolt was stripped and would pop out causing the cable not to have good contact. I replaced both battery bolts and works great. I went to NAPA for new positive cable and it wasn't correct type (connected from battery to starter). I noticed there are three positive wires connected to positive battery terminal. One went to the starter, one to the alternator, and one to the fuse box under the hood. That is a lot of cable! I figured just cleaning the old cables and replacing the bolts is enough. Does anyone disagree? Should I go to the trouble to replace the cables? If so, are the cables only available at the dealer?

Old 11-19-2007, 04:58 PM
Tech Certified Members

You would be better off to replace it but it is pricey, low voltage to relay center can cause aggravation later. but atleast you know where to start if electrical problems come to call