Cadillac Forum - Enthusiast forums for Cadillac Owners

Cadillac Forum - Enthusiast forums for Cadillac Owners (https://www.cadillacforum.com/forum/)
-   Cadillac Deville (https://www.cadillacforum.com/forum/cadillac-deville-15/)
-   -   In DESPERATE need of help RE:Ignition and Steering Column (https://www.cadillacforum.com/forum/cadillac-deville-15/desperate-need-help-re-ignition-steering-column-9456/)

GoldenCaddy 07-31-2009 11:42 PM

In DESPERATE need of help RE:Ignition and Steering Column

Hello

I am new to this forum and I am in desperate need of help. Recently, I encountered an issue with my 1999 DeVille. When the key is placed in the ignition, it spins freely (as in there is no pressure or force on the key when you try to turn on the car) and the car will not start. I am assuming that there is something broken in my ignition system. The shop my Caddy is in is claiming that I need an entire new steering column. Obviously without seeing the car it would be impossible to tell for sure but has anyone encountered something similar or does any one know enough about the steering/ignition systems on this car to confirm if this sounds credible or not? I really do not believe that the entire column must go for this little part since the wheels will still turn and etc.

stomper 08-01-2009 01:44 AM

Sounds to me like your ignition lock cylinder broke the holding pin or the rack. Call a locksmith ..

Whole column? if that is true I say that is weird, really weird.

Last time I encountered that, it was the rack.

Originally Posted by GoldenCaddy (Post 33393)
Hello

I am new to this forum and I am in desperate need of help. Recently, I encountered an issue with my 1999 DeVille. When the key is placed in the ignition, it spins freely (as in there is no pressure or force on the key when you try to turn on the car) and the car will not start. I am assuming that there is something broken in my ignition system. The shop my Caddy is in is claiming that I need an entire new steering column. Obviously without seeing the car it would be impossible to tell for sure but has anyone encountered something similar or does any one know enough about the steering/ignition systems on this car to confirm if this sounds credible or not? I really do not believe that the entire column must go for this little part since the wheels will still turn and etc.

GoldenCaddy 08-01-2009 05:44 AM

Originally Posted by stomper (Post 33394)
Sounds to me like your ignition lock cylinder broke the holding pin or the rack. Call a locksmith ..

Whole column? if that is true I say that is weird, really weird.

Last time I encountered that, it was the rack.

Thank you for the confirmation there. It just sounds too weird to be true. The car shifts into gear and can be steered the ignition cylinder is the only issue. I don't think their intention is to rip me off but I am just wondering if maybe they've never seen something like this before you know...

Stealth 08-01-2009 08:29 AM

That is a job for a locksmith.
they are on-wheels and will come to shop, your home, anywhere.
when you call one, do not tell them what the shop said to you, just tell them the symptoms.
let the locksmith take it from there.

GoldenCaddy 08-02-2009 02:06 AM

Thank you guys so much for the input. To add to my suspicion the shop appearantly is pointing to "Loose cables" as the reason they want to replace my entire steering column. BULL!

stomper 08-02-2009 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by GoldenCaddy (Post 33402)
Thank you guys so much for the input. To add to my suspicion the shop apparently is pointing to "Loose cables" as the reason they want to replace my entire steering column. BULL!

I thought I heard them all .. that is a new one for me!

GoldenCaddy 08-02-2009 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by stomper (Post 33403)
I thought I heard them all .. that is a new one for me!

I have to give them the benefit of the doubt for the moment because I am hearing all of this second-hand. But you bet your sweet bippy I am going down there first thing tomorrow morning to find out what exactly is going on.