Cadillac Forum - Enthusiast forums for Cadillac Owners

Cadillac Forum - Enthusiast forums for Cadillac Owners (https://www.cadillacforum.com/forum/)
-   Cadillac Deville (https://www.cadillacforum.com/forum/cadillac-deville-15/)
-   -   CADDY WON'T START (https://www.cadillacforum.com/forum/cadillac-deville-15/caddy-wont-start-101/)

SCOTTYB 01-04-2005 09:45 AM

CADDY WON'T START

I turn the key, the lights go on, the relay makes a click sound, but the starter won't turn over. I replaced the battery 2 weeks ago and it is charged. Could it be the starter relay? This has happened a few times in the past but I just had to turn the key again and it would start. This time-no such luck.

Suggestions?

elgordo08 01-14-2005 05:34 PM

RE: CADDY WON'T START

if it is a 94 thru 96 you need to move the fuse cover and there are more fuse donw there, usually it is a big green fuse that blows and that is it. cadillac tries to tell you it is the pass key sensor but it is not. all it is is a bis green 30 amp fuse. Good luck

onecool 06-29-2006 03:22 AM

well say he hears cliking on the realy thats a good sing you may need to check the small wire going to the start to see if you get a light with your test light to it with some one holding the key in the start posion. and if you dont may be theres a lose wire from the realy to the start or from the start siwtch under the colom to the realy , and last but not least could be teh pass key.

your not using a copyed key are you?
is there a littile balck pellet on the key? You can mesure teh resistance with a volt meter to see if you have any.

FLCaddytech 06-29-2006 07:39 AM

Yes , i would check the purple solenoid wire for power when cranking(someone turn the key while you test the wire)
The connector is on the passenger side rear valve cover that leads down under the Intake.
If you have power when cranking, you have a bad starter, poor connection from the battery, bad battery or siezed engine.
I would bet on the first two.
If there is no power to that purple wire then the problem is a little more complex.
Could be pass key, neutral safty, starter relay or a poor connection in that circuit. If the starter relay is making a clicking sound, that rules out the first two.

This is all based on a Northstar powertrain as you did not mention year or model.
Hope this helps

Eldo_001 04-03-2019 07:38 AM

Hey all, I recently bought a 1998 Eldorado. Over the past several days it has had trouble starting and had to be jumped twice. The first time was because of the climate blower fan constantly running which seems like a climate control module problem.This was temporarily solved by disconnecting the blower cable under the hood. Several days later it again had to be jumped. I speculated that this was because of the fact that I had left the car unlocked overnight and the stock security system had drained it. However, this morning it again will not start, even with a jump it won't. The lot from which I bought the car supposedly put a new battery in recently so I do not believe it is because of a bad battery. The starter will not even turn over when hooked up to the other car. There is however a clicking sound. Any advice or tips would be appreciated as I have never owned a cadillac before. I am very familiar with GM and have worked pretty in depth on several chevys.

peter.handscomb 05-09-2019 01:14 PM

Replaced alternator on 2008 Cadillac Dts,now it won't start. Checked battery. no clicking.