Cadillac Deville The flagship luxury car, offering the class with which the Cadillac has been associated, for decades

Another 2004 Deville problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2008, 08:57 AM
Default Another 2004 Deville problem

This is weird. My truck opens by itself sometimes. Has this ever happened to anyone? I shore I would never by another GM becauseI had bad luck (all electrical problems) with a brand new Pontiac I bought way back in 1995. But, I liked the cadillac so much I bought it. Could this be electrical?I need help. I asked for help with another electrical problems that I'm having buit no one seems to have an answer for me. I'm really getting upset with these problems. Window regulators, electrical, trunk...

Old 12-10-2008, 10:26 AM
Default RE: Another 2004 Deville problem

I have a 2002 Deville and saw in my manuals that there are two relays (in your fuse block) and an actuator or near your trunk. You might want to check the relays. By the way, have you had your trunk ajar light go on occasionally? You mentioned all kinds of electrial problems; were these fixed?

Sharon

Old 12-10-2008, 07:03 PM
Tech Certified Members

Try turning valet switch on and see if it stops happening, if it does it caused by something tripping the RKE. Does it also happen in the same places?

Old 12-10-2008, 07:55 PM

Yeah, I ended up turning the Valet on this morning. Just to see if it happens again. The first time it happened, I thought I accidental hit the button on my key fab. Then it happened again a week or two later. I'm positive I didn't hit the button. Since then, it happened 4 or 5 times. I don't know if it has anything to do with the key fab or not. Hopefully this won't happen again since I turned the valet on. If it does then I don't know what to look at. If it doesn't, I'm also stuck. What is causing it? A bad key fab? I don't know. All I do know is that I don't want it to open again by itself. Snow, rain, thieves etc. Last night when it opened, we had a little rain so the inside of my truck got slightly damp. I used a hair drier and leaf blower to dry it. The wettest part was the mat which I removed and I'm currently drying in my house. I don't want it to get all musty in the car. Luckily, the interior of the trunk was just slightly wet. I would have me more upset if it rained really hard or snowed. Oh yeah, it happened twice at my house, one at work and onceor twice at the store. So it seems to happen anywhere.

Old 12-10-2008, 08:02 PM

How do you check relay? I checked all the fuses in both fuse boxes when I tried to troubleshoot the first electrical problems. I'm still having the interior light problem that I'm referring to. The interior map lights (entry light) will not turn on automatically when it's dark. Also, they won't tun on when I turn the **** that dims all the interior lights and should turn on the map lights. I can only turn the map lights on manually by pushing the button. That problem is driving me crazy and no one seems to be able to help me. Every time I go to my car in a dark parking lot, I can unlock my doors with the key fab and the exterior lights turn on. But, as soon as I open the door, the exterior lights go off and the interiors don't come on. Also, the lower door puddle lights never work. These are the electrical type problems that drive me crazy and shouldn't happen on an expensive luxury car. Do you have any advice on what I could try for these problems?

ORIGINAL: sharon sambursky

I have a 2002 Deville and saw in my manuals that there are two relays (in your fuse block) and an actuator or near your trunk. You might want to check the relays. By the way, have you had your trunk ajar light go on occasionally? You mentioned all kinds of electrial problems; were these fixed?

Sharon

Old 12-11-2008, 06:03 PM

ORIGINAL: Cadillac Al

Yeah, I ended up turning the Valet on this morning. Just to see if it happens again. The first time it happened, I thought I accidental hit the button on my key fab. Then it happened again a week or two later. I'm positive I didn't hit the button. Since then, it happened 4 or 5 times. I don't know if it has anything to do with the key fab or not. Hopefully this won't happen again since I turned the valet on. If it does then I don't know what to look at. If it doesn't, I'm also stuck. What is causing it? A bad key fab? I don't know. All I do know is that I don't want it to open again by itself. Snow, rain, thieves etc. Last night when it opened, we had a little rain so the inside of my truck got slightly damp. I used a hair drier and leaf blower to dry it. The wettest part was the mat which I removed and I'm currently drying in my house. I don't want it to get all musty in the car. Luckily, the interior of the trunk was just slightly wet. I would have me more upset if it rained really hard or snowed. Oh yeah, it happened twice at my house, one at work and onceor twice at the store. So it seems to happen anywhere.
Dont know whats causing your problem, but I have to be extra careful how I handle my key fob. Very sensitive and will open the trunk, fuel door or unlock the doors very easily. Mine is fairly new, got it about 2 months ago from the dealer (key fob that is). Came out of my job one day and everything was open. Usually try to put it somewhere where it cannot be accidentally pushed. Other than that, no electrical problems with my Deville. Some years in difference though!

Old 12-11-2008, 06:05 PM

Would unplugging the actuator be an option?

Old 12-11-2008, 07:22 PM
Tech Certified Members

With lighting have you checked for code?

Old 12-11-2008, 08:16 PM

I may try that. I just need to find it first. Ha Ha. I just turned the Valet on so that I would accidentally hit the button. If that is what's happening. I don't think I've hit it those times but I guess you never know. The only thing I don't like about having the Valet on is that I'll have to turn it off every time I want to get gas since it stops both the trunk and gas door from opening. Unplugging the actuator would help solve the gasdoor problem.

I just wish I could know for sure what's causing the trunk to open. Is it the key fob? Maybe. I wonder if the trunk release is controlled by anything? I mean, does it go through one of the many computers to open or is it like a wireless control? I'm thinking that the keyless entry, trunk release and panic button do get controlled by something. Maybe that's faulty? Maybe that also controls my interior light and door light (puddle light) problem?

I just hate electrical stuff in these cars. There juts so much going on and it's hard to troubleshoot.

ORIGINAL: Tarrance

Would unplugging the actuator be an option?

Old 12-11-2008, 08:18 PM

I checked for code with the on board diagnostics and nothing came up. It's such a weird problem.Whatever's controlling it must be faulty but I have noidea what.

ORIGINAL: slowroll

With lighting have you checked for code?

Quick Reply: Another 2004 Deville problem