Cadillac Deville The flagship luxury car, offering the class with which the Cadillac has been associated, for decades

P2763 trans shifts hard, everyone is scared!

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2012, 09:19 AM
Default P2763 trans shifts hard, everyone is scared!

Hi Everyone,
Usually I don't have to post, because you guys have already gone through and resolved whatever problem I might be having with my car. NOT THIS TIME!! There are not many posts out here about this code on any forum. Just a few, which haven't been much help.

I bought an 04 Cadillac Deville from an auction with 189K Miles. When I first got the car, it had a P2763 (Torque Converter Clutch Pressure Control Solenoid Control Circuit High) Code Current and P0748(Pressure control solenoid electrical) Code Current. I cleared the Codes and the P2763 came right back. Car hard shifts through all gears for the most part, as if it needs a motor/trans mount. When you first start it and drive, it will shift out OK through the first couple of gears. But after a few mins it will shift hard all the way through. Haven't driven the car much, but I was able to get almost all I/M(Emissions) Monitors up and the only code I have now is the P2763.

I have talked to a few shops that specialize in Cadillacs in the Atlanta, GA area. One shop told me, he could change the Pressure Control Solenoid and that might fix the problem. But he can't guarantee his work, unless he re-builds the whole tranny! Another Guy who works on Cadillacs and is familiar with changing the TCC Solenoid(dropping the cradle, tilting the trans to gain access to side cover) has never seen that code. He recommends changing the wiring harness, TCC Solenoid and Pressure Control Solenoid. But he is also not absolutely positive that will fix the problem. I had a friend of mine, unplug the Trans wiring harness and it seemed to be OK. No oil, bent connectors or broken wires that we could see. The Trans seems to shift on time, and does not slip...just shifts hard. Don't have a p0741 Torque Converter code. Just the P2763 and the P0748 that has not returned yet.

Is there anyone who is familiar with this problem?? What is the Best way to go about diagnosing/fixing the car without swapping out a used Tranny. I don't wanna dump a lot of money into an 8 yr old Car with 189K Miles. But, if changing out the solenoid will fix the problem, I'm willing to have the repair done. Everyone who I spoke to is hesitant. What are my chances here. Excuse the long post, just wanted to give you the whole story. Don't have a lot of history, some normal service records according to Carfax, up until around 130-140K Miles.