Cadillac Deville The flagship luxury car, offering the class with which the Cadillac has been associated, for decades

2000 deville stalling problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2009, 08:49 PM
Default 2000 deville stalling problem

Hi I have a base model 2000 sedan with about 140k on the clock. For the past few months I've had a problem with the car stalling at different times. Mostly it will happen in the morning. I will start the car and it will immediately shut off or if I'm driving slowly 5mph it may just cut off. Most of the time when this happens I have to press the gas to get it back started. The problem then usually goes away. In the past few days it has started doing it much more and now it does it while driving on the highway. It also won't stay running. I will start it, it will stall, try again floor it then when I take my foot of the gas it will dye. Then I let it sit for 15 or 20 minutes and it will start right up. I don't have a SES light on but I haven't checked history codes yet.(i'm going to do that in the morning). I read alot in other posts about the crank sensors. Is that a likely problem or does this seem fuel related. Thank you very much for any help you can give me.

Old 02-24-2009, 08:28 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by 00DEVILLE
Hi I have a base model 2000 sedan with about 140k on the clock. For the past few months I've had a problem with the car stalling at different times. Mostly it will happen in the morning. I will start the car and it will immediately shut off or if I'm driving slowly 5mph it may just cut off. Most of the time when this happens I have to press the gas to get it back started. The problem then usually goes away. In the past few days it has started doing it much more and now it does it while driving on the highway. It also won't stay running. I will start it, it will stall, try again floor it then when I take my foot of the gas it will dye. Then I let it sit for 15 or 20 minutes and it will start right up. I don't have a SES light on but I haven't checked history codes yet.(i'm going to do that in the morning). I read alot in other posts about the crank sensors. Is that a likely problem or does this seem fuel related. Thank you very much for any help you can give me.
get back to us witht he codes ..

also, when was the last time you changed the FUEL filter?
do you live in a cold climate area?

welcome

Old 02-24-2009, 11:51 AM

Thanks for the reply Stealth. I have had the car for a year and haven't changed the filter. It was supposedly changed close to when I bought it but I'm not sure. I just looked at it. looks old but not real old. I'll change that out just to make sure. I live in rhode island. Its been pretty cold here lately 32 ish. This morning it started stalled about 5 times. Then a played with the gas while turning over. It started I kept the rpm's about 1500 for a little bit let go and it ran fine. Later i slowed down to take a left and it died. I got it back home checked for codes and have none. A few things i forgot to put in my original post were a couple of weeks ago I replaced map sensor and cleaned throttle plate. I was thinking to get fuel filter and fuel pressure gauge. Check pressure before and after filter change. What should fuel pressure be? Thanks for any help you can give me. This is driving me crazy.

Old 02-26-2009, 06:43 PM

I wasn't able to check fuel pressure. Auto zone only sells the gauge they won't rent it. I replaced the fuel filter and did a seafoam treatment in the intake. A lot more smoke then alot of the other cars I've done it too. SInce then it has been warmer around 40's and sunny. It hasn't stalled yet. Does anybody think the filter and carbon build up were the culprit or may I have more problems?

Old 03-11-2009, 02:49 PM

I thought my problems were gone but they seem to be back. The idle on my car is now acting up. It seems to do it much more often in damp or rainy colder days. I am getting a po507 (idle to high). When I take my foot of the gas sometimes it stays at 1500, 1200. etc. IT occasionally speeds up.I've had to put it in neutral to shut it off because it was racing so much.Then I could start it up again and it will run fine. I've looked for va*** leaks and can't find any. I'm leaning towards IAC but really hope I'm wrong. They are pretty expensive. Could someone please give me some other ideas. Thanks for the help.

Old 03-11-2009, 07:54 PM
Tech Certified Members

Because of what's doing it is a major safety issue - I strongly suggest to take to Qualified shop or tech to be evaluated...before something bad happens.

Old 03-12-2009, 05:44 PM
Unhappy Stalling problems

Let me know what you come up with, Im having the same problems. After reading your post, you mentioned IAC, I figure that may be a computer of somekind. I know that would cost some money, money that Im not wheeling to pay at this point. If I was not so concerned with doing the two foot shuffle on the way to have the codes read, I would get it down to the local Auto Zone or the like. At this point the car is liable to get sold if the problem presist. As for me, I hvae to deal with the cold weather as well. The car was sitting for about 5 months, so I had to change the battery, and for about 2 weeks the car had been running fine. Then the Stalling, hard to start, and the two foot shuffle had started. Any suggestions....

Old 03-20-2009, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by slowroll
Because of what's doing it is a major safety issue - I strongly suggest to take to Qualified shop or tech to be evaluated...before something bad happens.

Thanks for your concern. I realize its not a safe way to drive and never asked if it was. I was asking for helpful hints to other owners that may have experienced the same problem, not a smart remark by you. Even if I was to bring the car to a qualified shop I would still like to get other opinions from other cadillac people. Thanks again for your concern I'm going to sleep alot better knowing that you care.

Old 03-20-2009, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by Blue2000DHS
Let me know what you come up with, Im having the same problems. After reading your post, you mentioned IAC, I figure that may be a computer of somekind. I know that would cost some money, money that Im not wheeling to pay at this point. If I was not so concerned with doing the two foot shuffle on the way to have the codes read, I would get it down to the local Auto Zone or the like. At this point the car is liable to get sold if the problem presist. As for me, I hvae to deal with the cold weather as well. The car was sitting for about 5 months, so I had to change the battery, and for about 2 weeks the car had been running fine. Then the Stalling, hard to start, and the two foot shuffle had started. Any suggestions....
I would try to get the codes before you do anything. After that it will give you a much better place to start your diag.