Cadillac Forum - Enthusiast forums for Cadillac Owners

Cadillac Forum - Enthusiast forums for Cadillac Owners (https://www.cadillacforum.com/forum/)
-   Cadillac Deville (https://www.cadillacforum.com/forum/cadillac-deville-15/)
-   -   1990 Deville - Hot Cat. & Rough Idle (https://www.cadillacforum.com/forum/cadillac-deville-15/1990-deville-hot-cat-rough-idle-9282/)

ChazMan 06-30-2009 09:20 AM

1990 Deville - Hot Cat. & Rough Idle

I have a 1990 Deville (4.5L @ 131,000 miles) that has a catalytic converter that glows red hot :mad:. It was replaced and does the same thing. The engine idles rough but on the road, she runs like a scalded dog :D. I had a fuel injector replaced but that didn’t do anything to ease this problem. Not sure if this is coincidental or not but the AC is only working at about 40%. All this started at the EXACT same time.

This car is in the shop as I write this so I cannot pull the codes. The local mechanic has given up after replacing the intake manifold gaskets, spark plugs and two more injectors. He has taken it to a GM dealership for diagnostics. I’m afraid to see the final bill – YIKES :eek: !

ChazMan 06-30-2009 09:24 AM

1990 Deville - Hot Cat. & Rough Idle

I have a 1990 Deville (4.5L @ 131,000 miles) that has a catalytic converter that glows red hot :mad:. It was replaced and does the same thing. The engine idles rough but on the road, she runs like a scalded dog :D. I had a fuel injector replaced but that didn’t do anything to ease this problem. Not sure if this is coincidental or not but the AC is only working at about 40%. All this started at the EXACT same time.

This car is in the shop as I write this so I cannot pull the codes. The local mechanic has given up after replacing the intake manifold gaskets, spark plugs and two more injectors. He has taken it to a GM dealership for diagnostics. I’m afraid to see the final bill – YIKES :eek: !

stomper 06-30-2009 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by ChazMan (Post 32892)

this one is easy .. TOO MUCH unburned FUEL is reaching the cat ...
the why is a little more work !

it could be wrong injectors,plugs nor firing, coils not firing, coolant sensor failing, wrong hookups for the emissions systems, etc..

ChazMan 07-04-2009 11:34 AM

Bad News!

I just called the mechanic; #3 cylinder is taking in water! :eek:

He explained that the water comng through the exhaust is causing the cat. to glow red hot. Wierd thing is, as far as I know, the engine never overheated! I don't ever recall seeing a red light, or any warning signs of the engine getting too hot.

Is this common or is my mechanic trying to sell a new engine? He says you can't do a normal head repair as these engines are "baked?" What does that mean?