Cadillac Deville The flagship luxury car, offering the class with which the Cadillac has been associated, for decades

Talk me out of it: 2002 Base

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2012, 08:26 PM
Default Talk me out of it: 2002 Base

Hi guys, prospective DeVille owner here. I had a Honda Accord that was totalled in late April, and I've been looking ever since for a replacement. Yeah, I'm picky.

I found a 2002 Base 6-seater with a claimed 180k kilometres, or about 113k miles. No accidents, 1 owner, spotty maintenance records. Asking $4,300.

I say claimed because the digital IP has been replaced with one that shows 71,000 kilometres. Apparently a tech messed up while working on the battery and shorted out the dash. This kind of worries me because the owner can claim any mileage he wants. He seemed like a nice guy, but that's how all bad stories start.

The car has some issues, which the owner has offered to fix and certify for $4,300, or I can negotiate a lower price and buy it as-is.

Issues:

- Both rear windows non-functional; he said it was the regulators. Common problem I guess. Should I be worried about them going out often?

- Climate control only going through defrost and legs: He said the gear that changed the vent direction was damaged, and I could hear a clicking on start-up that he attributed this to.

- Fuel gauge was non-functional; it always showed as empty. He said this wasn't an issue with the dash, but something else.

It also had a CEL on, and the owner said that was the fuel door warning. He had gotten it fixed twice, only for it go turn back on again. He had given up.

How much of these are common problems? Are they easy fixes?

Between these and the head gasket issue with Northstars, I'm starting to second-guess this car.