Cadillac Forum - Enthusiast forums for Cadillac Owners

Cadillac Forum - Enthusiast forums for Cadillac Owners (https://www.cadillacforum.com/forum/)
-   Cadillac CTS (https://www.cadillacforum.com/forum/cadillac-cts-11/)
-   -   Service Steering & Stability System (https://www.cadillacforum.com/forum/cadillac-cts-11/service-steering-stability-system-12667/)

xrionx 10-18-2011 09:54 PM

Service Steering & Stability System

My 2006 Cadillac CTS 3.6L with 90K started having this issue: I start my car and I am getting three messages on my Nav unit:
•Service Steering System
•Service Stability System
•Service Vehicle Soon

When I drive it the brakes are very sensitive and the steering is harder than normal. I am also getting "dummy lights" that stay on continuously for TCS, ABS, and BRAKE. It seems to only happen when the weather is cooler and if I drive it for 15 minutes or so and restart, the issue usually goes away.

Through my OnStar system I found the codes I am getting are C0281 and C0550.

I first had this issue last spring, and it went away for the entire summer, only to come back this fall when it began to get cooler.

I replaced my battery after having it tested and this did not change the symptoms.

I also have had an occasional issue where if I am braking to a stop while turning (like pulling into a parking stop) the car feels like the ABS engages. This happens a few times a month and has happened well before I ever received any of these errors.

Finally, last week I had an issue starting my car. The car would turn over, but would not stay running. I took the car to my mechanic and he replaced the Mass Airflow sensor. The car is now starting fine, but I am continually getting the orginal errors. I think this is an unrelated issue, but I felt I should mention it.

ANY help would be much appreciated!

Cadillac Customer Service 10-19-2011 04:37 PM

@xrionx, I have read you post about your situation with your CTS. You posted that you have had your vehicle into your mechanic. Is this a Cadillac technician or an independent shop?

Michelle, Cadillac Customer Service

xrionx 10-19-2011 10:32 PM

I took it to an independent shop.

Being that the car is no longer under warranty, and dealerships are known for being more expensive, I decided to take it to an independent shop. In the end I may take it to a dealership being the possible complexity of the problem, but for now I am just looking for a little insight.

You have any thoughts on this issue?

jennfoxdanger 10-24-2011 12:06 PM

I own a 2003 Cadillac CTS and have been having Service Stability System alerts on the console while driving. I'm afraid of losing control at times as my car starts swerving and the brakes lock on different sides of the car. I have had my brakes replaced twice in the past year and new very expensive front end repairs that relate to the braking system. I feel like I own a lemon, not the Cadillac I thought I was purchasing based on its reputation. What should I do next? The service stability system light continues to alert. I also notice a good deal of brake dust on my front tires which I assume means it will be in need of new brake shoes soon. Please help ASAP, I fear for my safety which I will hold Cadillac fully responsible should anything happen to me or my car while on the road.

rgauchey 11-12-2011 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by jennfoxdanger (Post 43395)
I own a 2003 Cadillac CTS and have been having Service Stability System alerts on the console while driving. I'm afraid of losing control at times as my car starts swerving and the brakes lock on different sides of the car. I have had my brakes replaced twice in the past year and new very expensive front end repairs that relate to the braking system. I feel like I own a lemon, not the Cadillac I thought I was purchasing based on its reputation. What should I do next? The service stability system light continues to alert. I also notice a good deal of brake dust on my front tires which I assume means it will be in need of new brake shoes soon. Please help ASAP, I fear for my safety which I will hold Cadillac fully responsible should anything happen to me or my car while on the road.

I had these error codes. Took it to the dealer and it was a software update. All's fine and for free.

xrionx 12-28-2011 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by rgauchey (Post 43519)
I had these error codes. Took it to the dealer and it was a software update. All's fine and for free.

For free? Is your car still under warranty?