Cadillac Forum - Enthusiast forums for Cadillac Owners

Cadillac Forum - Enthusiast forums for Cadillac Owners (https://www.cadillacforum.com/forum/)
-   Cadillac CTS (https://www.cadillacforum.com/forum/cadillac-cts-11/)
-   -   Normal range of RPM? (https://www.cadillacforum.com/forum/cadillac-cts-11/normal-range-rpm-7754/)

oderfla53 12-28-2008 08:06 AM

Normal range of RPM?

I got a Caddy CTS 2004 3.6L engine for 2 months,but when I start the car in the morning or when the engine cool down the rpm's got to 1400 for at least 1 minute and half.It is this normal? I'am not sure that this happened for the first two weeks that have the car,before that have to change the battery.Dealer's guy checking and said that everything is correct.Please help.

stomper 12-28-2008 09:21 AM

RE: Normal range of RPM?

ORIGINAL: oderfla53

I got a Caddy CTS 2004 3.6L engine for 2 months,but when I start the car in the morning or when the engine cool down the rpm's got to 1400 for at least 1 minute and half.It is this normal? I'am not sure that this happened for the first two weeks that have the car,before that have to change the battery.Dealer's guy checking and said that everything is correct.Please help.
I dont know the specs for your car or where you live but that is not unusual when the car is cold, any car.
I usually see around 1,100 rpm, but 1,400 is probably fine. If the AC compressor is on, the engine may also run a bit faster. I tend to keep my compressors OFF until I really need them to save wear & tear and fuel and extend their life.

The higher rpms makes sure oil is pumped quickly, and makes up for the fact that the engine is running under fuel rich conditions which makes it more difficult to idle at lower rpm.

The engine should come down to around 700 rpm after that.

You got yourself a sweet set of wheels with that CTS .. enjoy

oderfla53 12-28-2008 06:21 PM

Thank you stomper for you reply,I live in Miami,Florida,where the cold wheather in the morning is around 65,actually I prefer to see the rpm's around 1100,1400 is pretty high for me,with the AC compressor OFF I got the same situation,anyway after that everything is fine.

stomper 12-28-2008 07:12 PM

I was a bit off on the rpm .. three of my cars do run at 1,400 for a min or so.

SGM 09-12-2021 10:00 PM

RPM’s going up around 1400 when starting car

My 2004 CTS was racing upon startup just for a couple of seconds. I put a can of seafoam in with the gas. No change. Disconnected the battery and touched cables together and then waited 15 min. and reconnected to battery. 1st time starting was normal but next time it went back to racing. When I put in the seafoam I noticed the gas cap didn’t click when closed and seamed loose. I got a new gas cap and put in. To my amazement my car started normally with no racing of rpm’s. It must have been sucking in air. The car runs better also. Hope this will work for someone else. Replacing gas cap a lot cheaper than trying to change different parts. Thank you for all the blogs.