Cadillac CTS The mid-sized sedan that has grown the popularity of the Cadillac brand with it's low price and sleek styling

Default Cadillac CTS ... reduced engine power .. Battery, alternator, ignition swit

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2009, 04:10 PM
Default Default Cadillac CTS ... reduced engine power .. Battery, alternator, ignition swit

Ok. So two weeks ago I had started up my 03 CTS and I got this message saying reduced engine power with the engine light on. Well I managed to drive it over to a shop right near where I live. It was moving about 2 miles/hr. Well, it was fixed. It had something to do with the throttle body so they say. It seemed fine after that. Now here it is two weeks later and the car cut off on me in the middle of the road. I started it back up and then that reduced engine power message came back on with the engine light. I had the car towed back to where it was fixed the first time. They can't figure out what is wrong because the car is not acting up. They say, they've driven it and it isn't doing anything. What in the world is wrong with it? I'm lost here.

===========
mod edit
title

Last edited by Stealth; 04-25-2009 at 08:41 AM.
Old 04-24-2009, 05:24 PM
Tech Certified Members

may we ask..... climate, and weather condition.. any codes you can pull.... miles on car.... gas, have you put gas in sense it was fixed first time......
get back to the forum with at least this info, please..... oh, and welcome to the Forum
rickyd

Old 04-24-2009, 07:19 PM

Hi Rickyd. I'm in Michigan so the weather has been hot, cold, and rainy although the last couple of days have been really nice, warm and sunny. There is over 96,000 miles on the car. I had just put 93 octane gas in it a few days prior to this last incident. I don't have any codes. I think I left the last invoice in my glove compartment and its still sitting in the shop. I'm so frustrated right now.

Old 04-25-2009, 08:08 AM
Tech Certified Members

Originally Posted by Psymama
Hi Rickyd. I'm in Michigan so the weather has been hot, cold, and rainy although the last couple of days have been really nice, warm and sunny. There is over 96,000 miles on the car. I had just put 93 octane gas in it a few days prior to this last incident. I don't have any codes. I think I left the last invoice in my glove compartment and its still sitting in the shop. I'm so frustrated right now.
were going to need some codes Psymama, i'll bet then one of the super tech here on the forum will have a better handle on your issue... do you know how to pull them?
rickyd

Old 04-25-2009, 08:35 AM
Super Moderator
Default Cadillac CTS ... reduced engine power .. Battery, alternator, ignition switch.

Originally Posted by Psymama

Ok. So two weeks ago I had started up my 03 CTS and I got this message saying reduced engine power with the engine light on. Well I managed to drive it over to a shop right near where I live. It was moving about 2 miles/hr. Well, it was fixed. It had something to do with the throttle body so they say. It seemed fine after that. Now here it is two weeks later and the car cut off on me in the middle of the road. I started it back up and then that reduced engine power message came back on with the engine light. I had the car towed back to where it was fixed the first time. They can't figure out what is wrong because the car is not acting up. They say, they've driven it and it isn't doing anything. What in the world is wrong with it? I'm lost here.
Throttle body? None of this, NONE, points to a throttle body.
This is basic, you need a new mechanic.

From your description, there are a couple of things to check;
Battery and alternator or ignition switch.

ignition switch?
before you do anything, I suggest you fully charge your battery first. Upon fully charged your battery, try to start the engine and then turn it off and back on, to see if your clock still resets to 12:00?
If it does, you may have a problem with wiring/connection to the ignition switch...

how old is the battery?

alternator? do a check with a volt meter from the battery terminals with ignition off (~12.6VDC) and with the engine running (~14VDC); the best is use a proper battery/alternator tester, perhaps your local AutoZone, Advanced Auto or similar can help and ID if its the battery or the alternator is due for a replacement.

Your battery is probably 6 years old, so hopefully is the battery, easiest and cheapest fix.

get it fixed, then print this and take it to the shop that charged you to "FIX" the throttle body.

Last edited by Stealth; 04-25-2009 at 08:45 AM.
Old 04-25-2009, 08:16 PM

Wow. Thank you Stealth. I will be looking for a new mechanic.

Old 03-07-2011, 05:48 AM

Originally Posted by Stealth
Throttle body? None of this, NONE, points to a throttle body.
This is basic, you need a new mechanic.

From your description, there are a couple of things to check;
Battery and alternator or ignition switch.

ignition switch?
before you do anything, I suggest you fully charge your battery first. Upon fully charged your battery, try to start the engine and then turn it off and back on, to see if your clock still resets to 12:00?
If it does, you may have a problem with wiring/connection to the ignition switch...

how old is the battery?

alternator? do a check with a volt meter from the battery terminals with ignition off (~12.6VDC) and with the engine running (~14VDC); the best is use a proper battery/alternator tester, perhaps your local AutoZone, Advanced Auto or similar can help and ID if its the battery or the alternator is due for a replacement.

Your battery is probably 6 years old, so hopefully is the battery, easiest and cheapest fix.

get it fixed, then print this and take it to the shop that charged you to "FIX" the throttle body.

Sounds like good advice. Just had the same problem. No repairs done yet. Checking all above.., THANKS for the advice.

Ken

Old 03-07-2011, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by Ken Mohr
Sounds like good advice. Just had the same problem. No repairs done yet. Checking all above.., THANKS for the advice.

Ken
Battery good - connector loose. Had thermostat changed two weeks ago. They may not have tightened it down properly.

Thanks again

Old 03-07-2011, 03:54 PM

does the shop even know where the throttle body is???? and what it does!!!
these cars are famous for batterys positive terminal always leaking.