Cadillac CTS The mid-sized sedan that has grown the popularity of the Cadillac brand with it's low price and sleek styling

Coins behind ashtray

Old 08-19-2008, 05:33 PM
Default Coins behind ashtray

I recently purchased a 2005 CTS. My wife, being helpful, removed all the coins from my Lexus ES300(which had an enclosed place for coins) and put them in my ashtray, which is not really an ashtray but more of a felt-covered storage area, but it is where an ashtray would be if I smoked.

Aftera few big bumps,some of the coinspopped over the tray and are now stuck behind there. I have since removed all the coins that were still in the tray. Now, when I turn, I hear coins sliding from one side to the other. Kinda annoying.

Can anyone tell me how I can get these coins out? I tried removing the little tray and getting them through the hole in the plastic, but I cannot reach them this way. I willprobably need to take theentire panel out. Right?

Stupid problem, but a problem none the less.

Thanks in advance for any help or advice given.

Old 09-18-2008, 09:47 PM
Default RE: Coins behind ashtray

I have the same problem. Darn pennies!

Old 09-18-2008, 11:11 PM
Tech Certified Members

ORIGINAL: ericinok

I recently purchased a 2005 CTS. My wife, being helpful, removed all the coins from my Lexus ES300(which had an enclosed place for coins) and put them in my ashtray, which is not really an ashtray but more of a felt-covered storage area, but it is where an ashtray would be if I smoked.

Aftera few big bumps,some of the coinspopped over the tray and are now stuck behind there. I have since removed all the coins that were still in the tray. Now, when I turn, I hear coins sliding from one side to the other. Kinda annoying.

Can anyone tell me how I can get these coins out? I tried removing the little tray and getting them through the hole in the plastic, but I cannot reach them this way. I willprobably need to take theentire panel out. Right?

Stupid problem, but a problem none the less.

Thanks in advance for any help or advice given.
assuming you can reach them, try a wire wrapped with tape sticky side out.
chances are that if the coins fit through a hole or a crevice, so will a wire.

other than that, pull panels.

Old 01-25-2009, 02:57 AM

i have the same problem how do i go about taking the panols apart ?