Cadillac CTS The mid-sized sedan that has grown the popularity of the Cadillac brand with it's low price and sleek styling

LEAVE IT ON AUTO OR NOT

Old 01-02-2009, 07:44 AM
Default LEAVE IT ON AUTO OR NOT

I was just wondering if any of you leave your heating controls on auto? It just seems to me that you would want you a/c off button to be off during the winter months. But my husband saids different. Can someone help me

Old 01-02-2009, 09:52 AM
Tech Certified Members
Default AC / Ambient Cotnrol - LEAVE IT ON AUTO, economy, or OFF

ORIGINAL: clemaster03

I was just wondering if any of you leave your heating controls on auto? It just seems to me that you would want you a/c off button to be off during the winter months. But my husband saids different. Can someone help me
As we address ONLY economy and durability, you are both partially right, you are both partially wrong.

- The A/C has moving parts, therefore it wears when turned on. AC Compressors tend to last about 75000 miles, ambient control always on.
- The seals need to be used or they will dry out. Do not turn it OFF for the whole winter.

The best of all worlds is:

1. Regardless of weather, run it once a month for at least 30 minutes and keep the seals fresh. In rainy weather, it helps dry out the air in the cabin.

2. Set at ECONOMY or OFF the rest of the time when is not needed - remember, if not ON, wear is minimal.

3. Turn it on when running at high speed, it will help save fuel when your windows are closed - over maybe 60 mph.

4. Keep it on when you husband wants it on, its not worth a fight or a divorce.

Old 01-02-2009, 01:58 PM
Tech Certified Members
Default RE: AC / Ambient Cotnrol - LEAVE IT ON AUTO, economy, or OFF

I agree with all points!