Cadillac Forum - Enthusiast forums for Cadillac Owners

Cadillac Forum - Enthusiast forums for Cadillac Owners (https://www.cadillacforum.com/forum/)
-   Cadillac CTS (https://www.cadillacforum.com/forum/cadillac-cts-11/)
-   -   2007 cts airbag maintance (https://www.cadillacforum.com/forum/cadillac-cts-11/2007-cts-airbag-maintance-6407/)

mluthier 06-24-2008 07:57 PM

2007 cts airbag maintance

Just bought a 2007 cts,after driving it about 1100 miles,the airbag light came on and a warning on the dvd screen [airbag service] .I diconnected the battery overnight,din't work,tried unplugging the yellow connector under the drivers and passenger seat nothing.Has anyone had this issue.I have no warrenty.So I would like to fix myself.Any other idea's I could try.Thanks.

ctsv8 07-01-2008 09:36 PM

RE: 2007 cts airbag maintance

don't disconnected any connectors because that will cause the system to be disabled even more. There is a issue with something in the air bag system. You will have to get the code read then you can fix the problem. Your local dealer should be able to connect his tech 2 and read the codes in the SDM. He should not charge you more then 20 bucks for this service. If he wants more, he is trying to rip you off. Any gm dealer can do this test. Sometime local auto parts stores can do this also.

stomper 07-02-2008 11:08 AM

federal warranty ... RE: 2007 cts airbag maintance

ORIGINAL: mluthier

Just bought a 2007 cts,after driving it about 1100 miles,the airbag light came on and a warning on the dvd screen [airbag service] .I diconnected the battery overnight,din't work,tried unplugging the yellow connector under the drivers and passenger seat nothing.Has anyone had this issue.I have no warrenty.So I would like to fix myself.Any other idea's I could try.Thanks.
there are some things that have a Federal mandated guarantee .. emissions is one ..

how about airbags ?

this was emailed to me on a prior issue:

=============

The most common reason for the light to come on appears to be the failure of the clock spring connector in the steering column. This is the device that allows the signal to deploy the airbag in the steering wheel to be connected to the module which would trigger it. It is flexible wire device subject to failure due to constant turning of the wheel. However there are other wiring and communication failures will also turn on the lamp.

But there is a way of asking the air bag control module what is the problem it has found. This involves plugging a diagnostic readout box i . The typical code readers for engine/transmission/body problems are not likely to be able to get the readout. Rather a dealership reader is needed and that would be usually only found at a dealership.

One possible solution would be to seek a free repair from the dealer under a federal warranty which is required by the DOT on all cars. I believe you may have recourse to that remedy given the year and mileage of the vehicle. So look into that and you may possibly not have to deal with this problem yourself.

====================

be aware .. as in any warranty, once YOU mess with it, YOU OWN IT !

G.A.R.Y. 07-02-2008 12:40 PM

RE: federal warranty ... RE: 2007 cts airbag maintance

Kevin, if you go to the dealer, please come back and post their response. Thanks.