Cadillac Forum - Enthusiast forums for Cadillac Owners

Cadillac Forum - Enthusiast forums for Cadillac Owners (https://www.cadillacforum.com/forum/)
-   Cadillac CTS (https://www.cadillacforum.com/forum/cadillac-cts-11/)
-   -   20' on 04 CTS (https://www.cadillacforum.com/forum/cadillac-cts-11/20-04-cts-1379/)

desoto 11-07-2006 11:17 AM

20' on 04 CTS

I recently put 20' on my car and the back keeps rubbing the tire on any dips in the road.....any suggestions on how to fix this....don't want to get rid of my tires.

Thanks

commogrunt 11-09-2006 01:40 AM

RE: 20' on 04 CTS

I had a 1997 Camaro that I just sold that had the same problem. I also had 20" rims on low pros that I installed (had the same issue for almost a year). The basic problem is that the larger than stock tires provide less clearance than the stock rims. The truth is that the new tires will probably rub and hit the wheel-well every time you turn a corner too tightly or hit a pothole hard. The only thing that you could do would be to make the wheel well larger which is pretty much impractical. The good news is that the wheel well is made of plastic and besides making a lot of noise, there is pretty much no chance of your tire bursting/shredding or anything crazy like that. It's just a nuisance that will weird you out more than it will actually endanger you. Think of it kind of like the price to pay for pimping out your ride.

Marcos

Adzmusik 11-14-2006 01:53 PM

I have the same problem on mine, I got 20" by 8.5" wide over sized rims and tires. The rear right tire probably rubs more than the rear left..this is because the rear end differentail on the CTS's is offset 1.75" to the right, so the weight distribution is uneven, so if you have one or more people in the car with you, then you are gaurunteed to rub everytime you hit a dip or a descent sized bump. The left will rub a little too, but not as much.. there are a few solutions to this without getting rid of your tires. The rear coils are a 300lb rating each, you could get a set of 400lb road racing coils, I think Granatelli makes them. or you could go to Mr. Gasket's website and order a 1.5" round spacer, put one under each of your coils, and then buy a 1.5" spacer set of (2) for each side..you can get those at Autozone for like $5 dollars. This will raise your rear end slightly but not obnoxiously, and it won't be very noticeable, but it should take care of the rubbing in the rear. Your only other solution if that doesn't work, is to go with 7.5" wide tires, because then they won't rub the inner weel well, because they will be clearing the inner lip. The spacing that i mentioned above will run you about $40 dollars total because Mr. Gasket charges like $15 a peice for those round spacers, and then 2 sets of spacers will run about $10 so this is the cheapest and quickest way to fix the problem or atleast decrease it significantly. Hope this helps you.
Adam

commogrunt 11-28-2006 03:42 AM

Awesome info Adzmusic! This cleared this up for me completely. I am having the same problem on the new CTS I recently bought with 20" rims on it(on which a tire just ruptured/right rear one!). I'm glad to see there's a simple and cheap fix to keep this from happening again. Thanks!

Marcos