Cadillac CTS The mid-sized sedan that has grown the popularity of the Cadillac brand with it's low price and sleek styling

08 Cadillac CTS with clicking noise that keeps pace with speed

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2009, 02:26 PM
Default 08 Cadillac CTS with clicking noise that keeps pace with speed

Greetings, I am new here and an owner of an 08 CTS since it first came out in the new style. I am looking for some technical advice on a clicking noise that keeps pace with speed, first noticed at slow speed but now I hear it at highway speed. I had a service writer look at it and he had no idea. The car operates with no problem, drives straight and no shimmy, stops as it should and if not for the noise I would have no idea something was going on. My dealer got shut down so getting service is a little bit of a problem at the moment but I was hoping someone had an idea, loose brake shoe, CV joint, U joint??

I am not sure where this question belongs or how this works so apologies in advance if I am not doing this right.

Thanks

Last edited by Bloviator; 08-24-2009 at 02:47 PM.
Old 08-25-2009, 03:59 PM
Tech Certified Members

does it do it at idle? If so, see if you can locate the noise. Try to let us know if it does it at idle. When your in park rev it slowly to about 1,500rpm-2500rpms to see if it corresponds to engine speed rather that moving speed. This will let you know if its and internal problem in the engine. let us know if you find out more.

Old 08-27-2009, 12:57 PM

No noise at idle, this is an intermittant noise that keeps pace with speed. At first I heard it after coming off a highway after a long drive and while slowing in the 10 to 15 MPH speed I would hear it all the way to stop. But it would come and go. I now hear it at speed but still intermittantly sometimes accelerating and sometimes stopping. I tried turning off traction control and switching to sport mode but no effect. Other than this noise I can't find a thing wrong with the car. To be honest I am hoping it will get worse so it will be easier to find. I was also hoping someone here might have had a similar experience to help narrow this down. My serivce writer wanted to change the oil and rotate the tires and hope it goes away.

Old 08-27-2009, 01:24 PM
Tech Certified Members

a clocking noise that keeps pace with SPEED ..

has to be a rotating component.
if it is a low pitch, hard to say,
if it is high pitch, it will not be internal to either trans or engine.

as best as you can tell where does it come from ? front, rear, driver side, under car, etc ..

this car in the attached picture had a similar complaint ...

Attached Thumbnails 08 Cadillac CTS with clicking noise that keeps pace with speed-matress-2.jpg  

Last edited by stomper; 08-27-2009 at 02:05 PM.
Old 08-27-2009, 07:56 PM

First thing I'd do is put the car on a lift, check to make sure nothing is caught in the driveshaft or axle shafts. Then pull the tires and check around the rotors or even the spokes of the wheels. Spin the wheels by hand and see if the noise appears.

Old 08-29-2009, 07:55 AM

I guess I will have to suffer through a couple "operating as per specification" trips to the dealership. I hear it every day but it's intermittant and sometimes I hear it right away and sometimes it takes 10 minutes. I know if the tech takes a ride and doesn't hear it I'm going to get it back with nothing accomplished. Thanks for all replies, that picture is hillarious and I checked and there is no chain link fence under there. lol

Old 08-29-2009, 08:21 AM
Tech Certified Members

any smells like something died ?

Name:  bce5.jpg
Views: 3637
Size:  61.4 KB
Name:  1d06.jpg
Views: 4213
Size:  59.6 KB

Attached Thumbnails 08 Cadillac CTS with clicking noise that keeps pace with speed-snake-engine.jpg  
Old 09-23-2009, 01:59 PM

And now the rest of the story. Sound got worse and the dealer found a TSB abour loose bolts on the U joint and bangin exhaust so that was done. Car given back and worse than ever, back to the dealer. They have ordered a new driveshaft, did I mention this car had the rear worked on about a year ago.

Old 09-23-2009, 08:56 PM

Thanks for the update. I'm sure this is quite frustrating for you. Hopefully they will get to the bottom of this issue soon and you can start enjoying your car again. Please let us know how it turns out.

Old 09-24-2009, 10:08 AM
Tech Certified Members

Originally Posted by Bloviator
And now the rest of the story. Sound got worse and the dealer found a TSB about loose bolts on the U joint and banging exhaust so that was done. Car given back and worse than ever, back to the dealer. They have ordered a new driveshaft, did I mention this car had the rear worked on about a year ago.
i knew there was a TSB, but I thought it only applied to the AWD cars.

what was the work done a year ago?
who did it?

Last edited by stomper; 09-25-2009 at 08:01 AM.

Quick Reply: 08 Cadillac CTS with clicking noise that keeps pace with speed