Cadillac Forum - Enthusiast forums for Cadillac Owners

Cadillac Forum - Enthusiast forums for Cadillac Owners (https://www.cadillacforum.com/forum/)
-   Cadillac CTS (https://www.cadillacforum.com/forum/cadillac-cts-11/)
-   -   04 cts slipping trans after sitting overnite (https://www.cadillacforum.com/forum/cadillac-cts-11/04-cts-slipping-trans-after-sitting-overnite-11505/)

edelen 12-03-2010 10:19 PM

04 cts slipping trans after sitting overnite

k9will here i have a 04 3.6 5L40E auto trans that slips or hesitates when you put it in foward gear after it sits overnite most of the time, the trans works flawless after it gets moving, this my first post on this site so be patient with me but i am very knowlagable about the machanical operating of am car but this seems to be computer controwled or somthing THANKS for any help

Adams' Apple 12-08-2010 04:13 PM

Two possibilities here....
The torque converter is draining overnight, which will cause it to be low on fluid on the first start. This will cause a delayed engagement fwd,and rev. Once the converter is full, it will work fine all day.
The bonded rubber pistons in the clutch drum(s) have hardened. The will not allow cold fluid to apply the clutches, and cause the delay. Once the fluid has warmed, the rubber will soften, and allow application fine.

Either of these will require trans removal to repair...

edelen 12-11-2010 10:56 PM

slipping trans in morning

it sounds like the draining tourqe converter is the problem but wouldn't it be doing it every time you let it set overnight, and someone said i should have the dealer flash the trans with the new updates, but it is hard to beleive that would do it because i think every time you turn the motor off the trans should act up every time you start back putting it in gear, but i am old school 350 turbo man THANKS for your awnser

Adams' Apple 12-12-2010 11:07 AM

Converter drain-back can be caused by several things, including a worn pressure regulator valve bore, or a worn converter/pump bushing, among other things. Parking the car on an incline can also make a difference. Fluid level can come into play, also. A re-flash will have nothing to do with this issue, imo...it's a mechanical problem, not software related. It's also possible that there is a valvebody/solenoid issue...we're starting to see some problems with valvebore wear, as wells a solenoid durability problems. How many miles are on the car?

stomper 12-12-2010 04:54 PM

one more question ..
does it do it only when it gets really cold outside, like below 50F, or does it do it every night even when its above 70F ?

edelen 12-26-2010 01:26 PM

cts slipping trans

k9will here sorry it took me so long to awnser but it is worse when it is cold but it can do it when it is warm also, it is in garage most nights, trans has about 109000 miles on it but it works flawless after it gets going thanks WILLIE

RickeyJJ884 02-07-2015 12:00 AM

appears like your money tourqe converter would be the difficulty although probably would not that always be carrying it out when you allow it to go arranged instantaneously, and also another person claimed i would hold the seller display your trans while using the completely new messages, but it is actually hard for you to beleive that would undertake it simply because i'm sure when you convert your engine from the trans must act upwards when you start returning getting that with gear, although i'm aged college 350 turbo guy THANKS for the awnser.