Need some advice from you Cadillac heads

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2017, 05:28 PM
Default Need some advice from you Cadillac heads

Hi Everyone,

Im looking to make a first step in classic cars. Initially was looking at a muscle project car but I had the opportunity to ride in a 59 impala recently and really fell in love with the late 50's early 60's hot rods. I've spent some time browsing the local Craigslist and came across this beautiful yet affordable Coupe Deville.

https://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/cto/6179881012.html

I'm hoping some of you can help a newbie out. What types of questions should I ask besides the obvious, number of owners, accident history, etc.

What are some common problems these cars face and what parts of the car should I inspect more thoroughly If I go to look at it?

As well as any other advice is much appreciated.

thanks

Old 07-16-2017, 03:39 PM

Agree that the photo looks great. However, nothing beats an eyes & hands on look.

My biggest concern would be rust. The engine/trans for the most part are reliable, if not bulletproof. Is the interior as nice as the exterior?

If you are not close enough to take a personal look, get someone who knows what to look for to do it for you.

- If I read the ad right, it does NOT have the original engine. Why? The paint is bubbling after a poor repaint? I have NEVER, EVER seen a rusty steering wheel on a car in my life (and I ain't no youngster). The rust in the trunk concerns me.

I would tread lightly ....

Last edited by OldsD88; 07-16-2017 at 03:46 PM.
Old 07-17-2017, 12:04 PM
Tech Certified Members

IDK you would want to have it inspected to see overall condition. How much do you want to invest in the car? Quality repaint gets expensive and there can be reasons for the bubbling beyond improper prep. The rear seat is also incorrect The rusty steering wheel is because all the plastic cracked and broke off. It is an interesting car I never saw that roofline before. The 472 parts availability would be better than the original 390. Let your wallet guide you, if might be better to spend more to get a car with no issues, than one with issues that need corrected.

Old 05-10-2018, 06:41 PM
Default caddy coupe de ville

Originally Posted by Ether
Hi Everyone,

Im looking to make a first step in classic cars. Initially was looking at a muscle project car but I had the opportunity to ride in a 59 impala recently and really fell in love with the late 50's early 60's hot rods. I've spent some time browsing the local Craigslist and came across this beautiful yet affordable Coupe Deville.

https://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/cto/6179881012.html

I'm hoping some of you can help a newbie out. What types of questions should I ask besides the obvious, number of owners, accident history, etc.

What are some common problems these cars face and what parts of the car should I inspect more thoroughly If I go to look at it?

As well as any other advice is much appreciated.

thanks
I guess you bought the de ville ? I bought an 88 deville just a few weeks ago, been working [and driving] [500 miles with out any serious problems]. . it has a 350 small eng. so the heads should be the same as a chevy small block. I have a maintance and owners manuals. as a long time auto mechanic I conceder these books essential. let me know if you have any questions. vin