Cadillac Forum - Enthusiast forums for Cadillac Owners

Cadillac Forum - Enthusiast forums for Cadillac Owners (https://www.cadillacforum.com/forum/)
-   Cadillac Coup DeVille (https://www.cadillacforum.com/forum/cadillac-coup-deville-30/)
-   -   67 DeVille - Gauges not working (https://www.cadillacforum.com/forum/cadillac-coup-deville-30/67-deville-gauges-not-working-17714/)

Chipster 07-14-2017 11:35 AM

67 DeVille - Gauges not working

Just bought this 67 coupe. In good shape except the gauges aren't working (I knew when I bought). I was wondering if it's as simple as just putting in a new printed circuit card? Any ideas would be appreciated.

slowroll 07-17-2017 02:35 PM

check fuse and connector for printed circuit first. If printed circuit is cause you should see break in it. Speedo is mechanical not electric.

Chipster 07-17-2017 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by slowroll (Post 53852)
check fuse and connector for printed circuit first. If printed circuit is cause you should see break in it. Speedo is mechanical not electric.

Thank you. Speedo works...bounces a little but works. I need to get behind the dash and check that stuff. Thanks.

Chipster 07-18-2017 03:49 PM

Slowroll, do you know if there is a relay for the dash gauges?

slowroll 07-20-2017 01:20 PM

no relay for gauges or dash lights. Wiring diagrams suck for lack of a better word until the mid late 70's. It's just a road map with a bazillin little lines.

Chipster 07-20-2017 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by slowroll (Post 53887)
no relay for gauges or dash lights. Wiring diagrams suck for lack of a better word until the mid late 70's. It's just a road map with a bazillin little lines.

Thanks. Makes sense. I went ahead and bought fuses and a new circuit card so I'll have the replacements if I need them while I'm in there and have the dash out.

Chipster 07-21-2017 06:54 PM

Finally got to take it for a spin and get some gas. Runs great.

Last night I had tried to start it and it wouldn't. After buying a new battery today and that not working either, I found out one of the many wires running to the battery was loose. Cranked right up after.

Chipster 08-29-2017 09:29 AM

Couple of updates. Had the power steering belt tear and car overheated. Did an oil and filter change and added some coolant to the radiator but I don't see a coolant reservoir. I'm not sure how much to add and if this system self bleeds or What?

Secondly, got a new circuit card and gauge overlay to clean that up but I cannot seem to get the instrument panel off. Front is loose and lifts up but I can't see where it's still attached in the rear and the shop manual doesn't seem 100% clear. Any ideas or tips and tricks?? After the overheating incident, I want to get these gauges working so I notice those issues in the future before overheating happens. Thanks

slowroll 08-29-2017 05:06 PM

speedo cable still connected? The other would connector in cluster. It's a PITA to climb under dash to see why.

Radiator - no overflow - closed system. There is a line on tank for full cold. About 2 inches below lip of filler should be good.

Chipster 08-29-2017 05:31 PM

By tank do you mean radiator? I don't see any fill tank. Any chance You have a pic? I figured I would disconnect Speedo cable once instrument panel was loose. Really feels like bottom rear of assembly is still bolted down somehow.