Cadillac Forum - Enthusiast forums for Cadillac Owners

Cadillac Forum - Enthusiast forums for Cadillac Owners (https://www.cadillacforum.com/forum/)
-   Cadillac ATS (https://www.cadillacforum.com/forum/cadillac-ats-70/)
-   -   Cue Screen cracked (https://www.cadillacforum.com/forum/cadillac-ats-70/cue-screen-cracked-18522/)

drew_351 07-09-2018 09:01 PM

Cue Screen cracked

I have a 2013 Cadillac ATS. A couple of years after I first bought the car I started to see something on the screen that I thought was a crack. A year after that it spread like crazy overnight and I came out to what looked like a shattered screen. I had talked with the dealership and they ordered a new one and after it came in they replaced it under warranty. That was around 2 years ago, and starting a couple months ago the same thing happened again. Now it is covering almost half my screen. I had stopped into the dealership and when I talked to the man there he asked if I purchased an extended warranty, I said no I hadn't, but the car did have the same issue while it was under warranty and I thought it should be covered. I asked if there was anything he could do to help me and I was told that I should have purchased the extended warranty, without that he can't do anything.

I find this frustrating since it sounds like a common issue and something like this shouldn't happen more than once, and unless in an accident I would say never. I have had other cars with screens and never had an issue, and those had more miles and were older. I started reading online about other people with the problems and some said it only happens down south where it gets really hot, like Texas. I am in Wisconsin, and it happened to me right here.

Has anyone had luck talking with a dealer about this? Getting into such a nice car kind of gets ruined when you see a broken screen.

Bellamia02 07-09-2018 09:41 PM

I am having the same problem! I purchased a 2014 Cadillac CTS at Carmax in September 2017. There are currently 41,000 miles on it. The car is kept in the garage except when in parking lot while shopping. Last week I came out of a doctor appt to find webbing in lower right hand of the screen. It has now spread to almost half of the screen. I purchased the extended warranty but it states that lenses, glasses, mirrors, etc. are not covered- I am assuming this includes the Cue screen? It ridiculous to have such a nice looking car that I’ve saved for and it looks so terrible with a shattered screen. Anybody had this covered under the warranty???? So frustrating!

JPCad 09-08-2018 06:21 PM

They are only covered under GM's bumper to bumper warranty. The replacement is only covered for a year I believe, from when it was installed.

This is a problem, and the units installed in the last year or so are supposed to be improved. They seem to come in waves, when the weather changes, warm to cold, or cold to warm.

drew_351 09-11-2018 06:01 PM

Ok, so next question then. It seems some people have replaced out the broken piece themselves with luck. Any suggestions on where to purchase the piece from? I believe I have seen it called the digitizer glass, or touchscreen? I have seen it for sale for $30 to $250 on sites. Is there a difference in what is being purchased?

JPCad 09-12-2018 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by drew_351 (Post 55378)
Ok, so next question then. It seems some people have replaced out the broken piece themselves with luck. Any suggestions on where to purchase the piece from? I believe I have seen it called the digitizer glass, or touchscreen? I have seen it for sale for $30 to $250 on sites. Is there a difference in what is being purchased?

I have no clue. I've never had one apart. I work at a dealership, and the only way we can fix them is replacing the entire center stack unit.

Jeffrey Jones 04-24-2019 06:14 PM

Cracked cue screen

I have a 2016 Cadillac XTS and my screen cracked around 50K miles last year. I assumed it was because of the heat. Half the screen is cracked today

Brian Veneros 05-13-2019 02:15 PM

Cracked screen 30k miles .

Im glad i wasnt the only one . i have 2016 ATS and only 30k miles on it and one morning i woke up to find most of the right bottome corner covered . is there any recalls on this item because it seems to be a reoccurring problem

bcpape 01-21-2020 05:55 PM

It's a HUGE problem. So much so, that GM has been slapped with multiple class action law suits. However few details are available. See link below:

https://www.motor1.com/news/372696/g...illac-screens/

GM is in their usual "denial" mode. As I have always maintained, GM is great at trying to re-invent the wheel every few years and when they fail, they expect us, the customer to pay for their failures and poor engineering. The CUE system is yet one more example. Not only the screen, but the entire system is poorly designed. It is difficult to navigate through. This is an "All-In-One" control center and it is far from convenient when compared to my 2019 RAM Pick-up. That system is easy to use, intuitive and was simple to figure out. I've read the manual to my CUE system and still can't figure everything out about it. Whomever designed it just did a poor job.

There are many options for aftermarket screens. If you don't want to fool around with replacing the just the screen, Rock Auto offers an option for a reconditioned, complete center stack, complete with new screen and all of the switches. It would make installation a bit easier and after the core deposit swap, it would be under $500. Still WAY cheaper than the dealership.
Here's the link:
https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...505662&jsn=336

Mick Mccanna 06-19-2020 10:25 AM

Cadillac Issues

Thanks to some issues with my Cadillac SRX, I recently had to spend over $3,000 in repairs from the dealer, all of which were GM issues. According to my dealer, I had to pay for new headlights, even though it is a recall. I am limited to only $900, even though the cost was well beyond that. I also had to pay out of pocket and then send paperwork into GM to get reimbursed. Why are they handling it like this? Are they hoping that people don't turn in the paperwork, so they can save those dollars. In addition, I had to get my Cue screen replaced, since it was not working. Despite all of the complaints, there is no recall on the Cue screen and all must be paid out of pocket.

Very poor customer service on these two issues.

Mick McCanna