'92 Allante 'Delayed' Start-up // Radio Issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2017, 10:18 AM
Question '92 Allante 'Delayed' Start-up // Radio Issue

I'm a 20yr old college student that recently bought a 1992 Allante, put in a new battery and starter right when I bought the car. Now its having issues turning over. I have power, dash lights up when the key is in but when I turn the key further to start it up the dash lights turn off and nothing happens, no sound or anything for 30 to 60 seconds then suddenly it turns over without a hitch. Sometimes it starts the first time I turn the key (and hold for 60 seconds) sometimes it doesnt work until the 5th time. Friend suggested it may be just the starter solenoid (I hope this is the only issue, relatively cheap and easy fix). Any other ideas?

Also the radio does not work. Turns on and changes station/volume but makes no sound. The antenna was disconnected because the previous owner thought it was draining the battery. Could this be a fuse or wiring issue or do I need a whole new radio?

Thanks for the help!!

Old 08-29-2017, 04:55 PM
Tech Certified Members

Check connections in particular battery cables themselves both ends. You need to get Factory Service Manual try ebay.

Radio - speakers have amps built into them they fail a lot. They can be replaced, you could search Bose amp replacement there's probably a video. The antenna can run all the time it mast cable breaks. normally you will hear a little motor run when car is parked. Stealth is resident Allante fanatic but he's not on much anymore you could try to PM him.

Old 10-07-2017, 12:20 PM

Agree that it sounds like a loose battery cable connection.

NOTE: even though the battery is located behind the passenger seat, there are connections under the hood that should also be checked.

Old 10-30-2017, 12:11 PM
Default Solution

Took the car into a dealership. Turns out previous owner was meddling with the wiring. There was an aftermarket remote starter spliced into the car, alarm system cut to bypass, lights never turn off as long as there's power to the battery. All in all wiring was completely ruined...

Couple hours with an expert to get the wiring back to as close to factory as possible. Will see if this fixes all the problems.