Cadillac Forum - Enthusiast forums for Cadillac Owners

Cadillac Forum - Enthusiast forums for Cadillac Owners (https://www.cadillacforum.com/forum/)
-   Braking System (https://www.cadillacforum.com/forum/braking-system-53/)
-   -   how to change out brake pads (https://www.cadillacforum.com/forum/braking-system-53/how-change-out-brake-pads-6531/)

1989 fleetwood 07-09-2008 02:13 PM

how to change out brake pads

i know its basic stuff and i cant probley do it right eventually. but im just not sure on how to change out pads. You take the caliper off, then do you pull the pads off, or do you have to push the piston into the caliper? and when putting new pads on you just pop them in?

Katzmans Caddy 07-09-2008 02:56 PM

RE: how to change out brake pads

I start with removing master cylinder cap then caliper nut loosening or whatever system holds on the caliper. Try to pretreat with liquid wrench or some product like that. You may need a Johnson bar too. May need torks or 3/8 hex head. Bounce those babies until they loosen. Next ,You need a large "C" clamp that will fit over the caliper. Snug the C clamp against the pad you see , try to get it centred and on the back of the caliper. Turn it down to push the pistion back in the bore and make sure you push it all the way in. Now remove the caliper bolts, then slip off the caliper and make sure you have somethng to hold it up, like a wire. Remove pads. Get new pads, usually they have some form of spring or locking mechanism that has to go on. If new pads don't have this you may have to reuse old ones. Grease contacts points on pads, Pads will pop or slide in place. Button it all back together. Depress pedal until piston is back in bore and pads up on rotor.Check brake fluid level, put cap on master. Road test.

1989 fleetwood 07-09-2008 08:38 PM

just wondering, why do you take off the resivor cap? and do you think i can use enough force with my hands so i wouldnt have to use a c clamp? is the piston pushed outward 24/7? is that why you have to push it in. thanks, i just want to make sure i fully understand it.

Katzmans Caddy 07-09-2008 10:37 PM

The cap is removed to give the brake fluid some where to go when you push back the piston into the bore, there will be some spillage. If cap is on you might not get the piston pushed back. When you step on the brake the piston forces the pads onto the rotor, The piston does not really release rather with no pressure applied the wheel can spin but the piston travel does not reverse it is always outward. No joking here, if you can push the piston back with your hands then your name must be Clarke Kent. Even with a C clamp you will be using all of your strength to turn the clamp.

stomper 07-10-2008 01:50 AM

lets not forget the special GM tool for the REAR pads !

Katzmans Caddy 07-10-2008 09:56 AM

The last 89 I worked on was a Buick Park Avenue, it had shoes on the rear. Does the 89 Fleetwood have discs or drums out back?

stomper 07-10-2008 06:59 PM

The Allante cars do spoil us a bit.
wrong assumption. I always assume disk brakes on all later model Cadillacs which is not correct.

1989 most Cadillacs ==> rear drums & shoes
1989 Allante ==> rear disk brakes

Katzmans Caddy 07-10-2008 09:11 PM

Good point still on the tool to compress the piston on rear brakes. Now that I read the post again we don't know what car we are talking about, I just assumed from poster's user name.

If rears are disc and you need direction let us know. They are a bit different because they are a floating caliper so you can get the caliper off without depressing the piston BUT you can't put new pads on without turning the piston in.

Of course you can get by without the special tool if you have patience and long nose pliers.

1989 fleetwood 07-13-2008 12:05 AM

oh sorry i forgot to mention what car it was. I made my user name when i had my 89 fleetwood, which had front disc rear drum. and now i sold that and got a 94 fleetwood [dont know how to change my user name] which also has front disc and the biggest drum brakes i have ever seen in my life on the rear.

stomper 07-13-2008 08:33 AM

I think we are stuck with the original screen name for life.

however, you can change / add to the SIGNATURE the car you own.