Bizzare Braking Condition

Old 02-09-2015, 09:05 PM
Exclamation Bizzare Braking Condition

Hello everyone. My name is John and I own ChristiansKustomz Automotive in Westminster, MD. I am well versed in vehicles but I have come across a Cadillac that has me baffled. It seems to defy all logic. I'm thinking it's a ABS unit failure but I can't seem to confirm it.

So here is the problem. It's a 1995 Cadillac Eldorado limited edition. The car came in to my shop with blown out rusted brake lines and an ABS orange warning indicator on. I replaced the brake lines and bled the system. Red brake light went away. Checked the ABS codes and came up the rear speed sensors were not reading a signal. I checked and they were disconnected. So I reconnected them and used my SnapOn Solus Ultra to go in and read the data to make sure they were reading signal and they were. I reset the codes and the light stayed on. I took the vehicle out for a drive and upon braking the car brakes to the right. I used my digital infrared thermometer and the Temperatures are as follows FR-232* FL-136* LR-136* and RR-154*. I pressurized the brake system and opened the bleeder on the FR caliper and fluid flowed well and the caliper released so I know the caliper is ok. I disassembled it, cleaned the sliders and greased them and reassembled the caliper. Took out on a test drive and same thing but the RR wheel would lock up tight causing the wheel to skid upon hard braking. None of the other wheels do that. So I pulled it back in and checked the caliper and same thing with that side. It was found to be ok. Temperatures were the same as the first set of numbers taken. Doesn't make sense.

So I pulled it back into the shop again and checked the brakes again. Fluid is flowing great out of all of the calipers. Checked the lines and they all seem to be fine. Now the information panel says traction control disabled, the ABS light is still on with NO codes and the front right brake is 100*+ hotter then the other 3 wheels. I'm thinking maybe a problem with the ABS unit itself but I can't find any information on diagnosing or troubleshooting it.

Is there anything I'm missing? This is really putting my expertise to it's breaking point and I'm a bit lost as to what it could be or what to do next because everything I do shows no problems. There are no other codes in any of the other body modules. No engine codes, no transmission codes (though the car does start off in 2nd gear. Seems first is lost unless it's very cold. It's there one second and then it's gone like someone flicked a switch so I'm thinking it may be the solenoid but there are no codes and seems to have signal. So I'm not sure on that either.

So that's it.