Cadillac Forum - Enthusiast forums for Cadillac Owners

Cadillac Forum - Enthusiast forums for Cadillac Owners (https://www.cadillacforum.com/forum/)
-   Automatic Transmissions (https://www.cadillacforum.com/forum/automatic-transmissions-57/)
-   -   Won't pass emission due to tranny! (https://www.cadillacforum.com/forum/automatic-transmissions-57/wont-pass-emission-due-tranny-9581/)

dannyllac98 08-20-2009 08:44 PM

Won't pass emission due to tranny!

My 98 caddy won't pass emission. According to the OBD reading, it reads fault with the torque cnvrtr... but I'm afraid it might not be the case. The car rides smooth and not jerking while shifting gears. The check engine light comes on 22 miles after of reset... PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE HELP!!!!!

stomper 08-21-2009 04:03 AM

Originally Posted by dannyllac98 (Post 33799)
My 98 caddy won't pass emission. According to the OBD reading, it reads fault with the torque cnvrtr... but I'm afraid it might not be the case. The car rides smooth and not jerking while shifting gears. The check engine light comes on 22 miles after of reset... PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE HELP!!!!!

we need the codes !

carnut 10-28-2009 05:19 PM

If the computer does not see the trans engaging overdrive or once in overdrive the computer sees slippage, then the light comes on to alert you. Thats why we need the codes. You might get lucky by dropping the trans pan and changing the filter and fluid. DO NOT FLUSH the trans fluid. I use DEXTRON type VI which is full synthetic and might cure the torque converter clutch slippage if thats what is occuring. Or, erase the codes and drive it in 3rd gear to the smog shop. No harm in 3rd gear, its just like Drive in older 3 speed transmissions.

rickyd 10-29-2009 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by carnut (Post 35172)
If the computer does not see the trans engaging overdrive or once in overdrive the computer sees slippage, then the light comes on to alert you. Thats why we need the codes. You might get lucky by dropping the trans pan and changing the filter and fluid. DO NOT FLUSH the trans fluid. I use DEXTRON type VI which is full synthetic and might cure the torque converter clutch slippage if thats what is occuring. Or, erase the codes and drive it in 3rd gear to the smog shop. No harm in 3rd gear, its just like Drive in older 3 speed transmissions.

lmao... good advise 'nut..... that just "might get'r done"....lol
rick

99STSGUY 10-31-2009 12:29 AM

Im not an expert but from what i know on how this tranny operates, if one was to drive in third gear to the shop or place, It still might not pass thou, as once you come to a stop it automaticaly jumps back into first. is this the prob? But if you can, take the traction control off and operate it in 2nd. that way it will stay in 2nd whole time. Starting, coming to a stop etc..

slowroll 10-31-2009 09:22 AM

TCC should not cause car to fail emission test, it will effect fuel economy. I don't believe IM test requires road testing. Unfortunately TCC codes have multiple causes normally requiring trans to come apart. I would clear codes in driveway of IM test center then see if it will pass.