01 STS High RPM At Start Up

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2009, 06:39 PM
Default 01 STS High RPM At Start Up

Whenever I start my STS it idles at about 1200 RPM.
Ive heard that its okay to just drive off like that, but I never do.
The reason being, because usually Im backing out of my garage or parking space; and If I shift into reverse the transmission grabs "Very" hard when at that RPM.

In the winter if outside it takes about a minute or longer to kick down to 750 RPM. In the garage or any other time when its warmer it only takes about 30-45 secs. Its not the waiting that Im concerned about. Its the "Very" hard grab into reverse if I dont wait.

Is that a sign of something wrong ?
Ive maintained everything on schedule. Tranny fluid is clean. Brakes are good. Its always been like that since Ive had the car.

Ive asked about this in another forum and was told no ones heard about it. And thats all the info I'd received.

Like I said, was also told that you can apparently start and go in these cars. But I really dont like that hard grab and lurch in reverse if I dont wait for the RPMs to kick down. Any Ideas ?

Old 04-14-2009, 08:17 AM
Super Moderator
Default Idle speed

Originally Posted by Mrmojorisin
Whenever I start my STS it idles at about 1200 RPM.
Ive heard that its okay to just drive off like that, but I never do.
The reason being, because usually Im backing out of my garage or parking space; and If I shift into reverse the transmission grabs "Very" hard when at that RPM.

In the winter if outside it takes about a minute or longer to kick down to 750 RPM. In the garage or any other time when its warmer it only takes about 30-45 secs. Its not the waiting that Im concerned about. Its the "Very" hard grab into reverse if I dont wait.

Is that a sign of something wrong ?
Ive maintained everything on schedule. Tranny fluid is clean. Brakes are good. Its always been like that since Ive had the car.

Ive asked about this in another forum and was told no ones heard about it. And thats all the info I'd received.

Like I said, was also told that you can apparently start and go in these cars. But I really dont like that hard grab and lurch in reverse if I dont wait for the RPMs to kick down. Any Ideas ?
What you are seeing is normal on all modern E.F.I. cars of any make. In very cold weather, it feels a bit more intense at dropping the transmission into gear. The engine speed is controlled by computers in a way that makes sure the engine gets plenty of oil at start up and also to avoid stalls. I personally start the engine as soon as I enter a car, then proceed to put on seat belts and do whatever is needed to get done before I pull the lever. By then, the idle is usually down to 750 rpm which makes the shift less harsh.

You have followed maint by schedule you say .. but .. we highly recommend two more:

1. change the coolant at 5 years for a new car (in 2006 for your '01), and every two years there after. Spare your head gaskets from a very expensive failure.

2. On your next brake pad change, have the brake fluid flushed.

You didnt say how many miles on the car .. at around 75,000 miles, I add a bottle of LUCAS to the transmission.
When doing a transmission service, I repeat the LUCAS. In city driving, I am heavy footed & at the open highway, an extremely high speed driver .. i have great luck with my transmissions.

Read our FAQ section, lots of basic info there to help all cars.

Last edited by Stealth; 04-14-2009 at 08:25 AM.