Aluminum Block V8s 4.1, 4.5, 4.6, and 4.9 liter engines.

Looking at '02 Deville - Worried about head gaskets

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2017, 04:23 PM
Default Looking at '02 Deville - Worried about head gaskets

Hi all,

I'm looking at a 2002 Deville tomorrow morning to buy as my personal vehicle. In the pictures it looks immaculate, the story is that it was driven by Grandma and Grandma in the summers, always garaged and put way in the winters. The car has 97,000 miles on it.

I have a full 3-bay garage with a lift and a bunch of tools, including a combustion tester, the blue fluid turkey-baster style.

My questions are;

Will that test tell me all I need to know? (If it passes the turkey baster test I also plan to give it an uphill test giving it a load to see if it holds temperature)
Do you think storing it in the winters hurt anything coolant-wise?
What should I do coolant-wise if it tests as ok and I buy it. Orange/Green, some flush or something?

I hope this goes well and if so i'll be a frequent poster!
- Joe -

Old 02-17-2018, 05:45 PM

Didn't come across your post here until now. What engine are you talking about ?? If the then-owner let you do extensive testing all-the-better. For what its worth ..... as you know, head and manifold gaskets a primary concern due to the amount of work involved to replace them. And beware of oil/coolant contamination as it can severely damage major engine parts (cam, bearings, etc) Although its not a guaranteed indicator, I hope you checked the oil and coolant for contamination (one in the other). Also .... bubbles in the heated coolant overflow line can indicate defective gaskets.

Fluid Changes ? Many say change oil/filter per manufacturer and change coolant every 2 to 3 years. Flush with distilled water only. Mix coolant with distilled water (usually 50/50). Kinds ? Your choice. Gat a Factory Manual and follow recommendations.
If there are aluminum cooling system components you may need to use a specific coolant type.