Cadillac Forum - Enthusiast forums for Cadillac Owners

Cadillac Forum - Enthusiast forums for Cadillac Owners (https://www.cadillacforum.com/forum/)
-   Aluminum Block V8s (https://www.cadillacforum.com/forum/aluminum-block-v8s-49/)
-   -   Advice for Cross Country trip (https://www.cadillacforum.com/forum/aluminum-block-v8s-49/advice-cross-country-trip-18581/)

Indy2Alaska 08-06-2018 06:18 AM

Advice for Cross Country trip

Hello everyone, my name is Michael. I’m about to drive my mother across the country in a 1999 Eldorado ETC, and I’d like some advice. My father Passed away two years ago, and I inherihited this black beauty. Against my better judgment, I have decided to drive from Indianapolis, (mom has never been Northwest) and ship it from Bellingham, Washington to my current home of Anchorage, Alaska. Dad bought this car with very low miles and pampered pretty well. It has less than 85,000 miles on it now and I know a great deal about it’s past maintenance records.
Sorry this is going to be a long post but I’m hoping to get some good advice. I am very savvy with wrenches and know quite a bit about the ups and downs of the Northstar.
Three summers go when I was home taking care of my sick father, it overheated on me while driving if the air conditioning on and went into safe mode. The temperature gage was pegged, and I was sure that the engine was toasted. After letting it sit overnight it restarted with no problem, but the local GM certified shop said the radiator was plugged and installed a new one. I took it to another shop fearing that it had worked the heads

Indy2Alaska 08-06-2018 06:36 AM

Woops. Not finished....

*warped. I was sure that it had warped the heads. I took it to my most trusted mechanic and he gave it the “sniffer” test. He told me that it failed. He also told me that he despises the Northstar engine, so I decided to have the cool and drained a few more times and another shop look at it. Two more shops told me that the engine was fine. He told me that it failed. He also told me that he despises the Northstar engine, so I decided to have the cooler drained a few more times and another shop look at it. Two more shops told me that the engine was fine.
Unsure what I was going to do at the time, I put it in storage and came back to Alaska. Well it is been sitting for over a year and I’m about to go back and blow the dust off (I know sitting is not good but I had no choice).
Sorry for the long intro...
PS I plan on oil change, coolant change (no flush, this will be a third one since the radiator in overheat with less than 50 miles put on it, just being extra careful), and transmission fluid change (no flush), as well as a cleaning of the break since it’s been sitting.

my questions are these:
1. I’ve done a significant amount of research and found out that the metal coolant tube on top of the valve cover clogs. My plan is to have someone try to clear it or bypass it with a rubber tube like I saw on You Tube video.
2. Long ago I had a problem with another vehicle overheating, and I bought an auxiliary electric fan that literally zip tied to the radiator and it allowed for additional cooling. Since I’m going to be driving through the hot desert, I’m trying to think of anything that I can to help it not overheat and blow up.
3. I know that sometimes you can put a different temperature of thermostat on a car. Advise please.
4. There’s quite a bit of talk on this forum of using the factory red coolant and other people prefer the green.
( i’m fairly certain that dad has been using the green for years) Advise.
5. I’ve read that the head bolts commonly come loose, or break. I’m guessing that it is a ridiculous amount of labor to have someone try and get in to tighten them?
6. Since the vehicle originally she failed the exhaust “sniffer” test, Should I add these GM tablets I’m reading about? I saw the guy on the YouTube video add a quarter stick of the aluminum sealant to help his minor leakage.
6. I’m glad that I have scoured this for him, because I totally forgot that his fuel gauge stopped working a few years ago. I will have a gas can in the trunk, but I can use the digital meter accurately to tell me how much gas is left correct? Another words the gas i’m glad that I have scoured this for him, because I totally forgot that his fuel gauge stopped working a few years ago. I will have a gas can in the trunk, but I can use the digital meter accurately to tell me how much gas is left correct? Another words the gas gauge repair isn’t really necessary, right?

Well thanks to anyone who made it this far but I’m really wondering if it’s in my best interest to pay the extra money and throw this thing on the trailer because it’s just going to be a Sunday driver for me in Alaska but I sure love it and it makes me miss my dad. That’s the reason that I’m not selling it for $5000 or whatever it may be worth. To me it’s priceless. Advice please well thanks to anyone who made it this far but I’m really wondering if it’s in my best interest to pay the extra money and throw this thing on the trailer because it’s just going to be a Sunday driver for me in Alaska but I sure love it and it makes me miss my dad. That’s the reason that I’m not selling it for $5000 or whatever it may be worth. To me it’s priceless. Advice please.

Michael