Cadillac Forum - Enthusiast forums for Cadillac Owners

Cadillac Forum - Enthusiast forums for Cadillac Owners (https://www.cadillacforum.com/forum/)
-   Aluminum Block V8s (https://www.cadillacforum.com/forum/aluminum-block-v8s-49/)
-   -   95 SLS Overheating??? (https://www.cadillacforum.com/forum/aluminum-block-v8s-49/95-sls-overheating-11076/)

UnkleV77 08-04-2010 11:27 AM

95 SLS Overheating???

I have a 95 SLS with the 4.6 V8 Northstar and when I purchased the car the temperature would easily rise to around 223 degrees. I have recently performed a radiator flush and changed the thermostat and even added GM coolant pellets as recommended. Now my radiator temperature reads 207-210 in idle, 194-201 driving. I know that's fantastic but both my cooling fans are constantly running and they blow what feels to me like excessive HEAT? What would you recommend the issue be?

Adams' Apple 08-04-2010 12:08 PM

200-220 deg engine coolant temps would be considered "normal". Most later model cars(1990 & up) are designed to run hot, to help keep emissions down.
Not sure what temp the fans are programed to come on at. Do they run even when the car is first started when cold? Or are they simply running when the temp gets to around 190/200? If so, then that would also be considered "normal", but they should also cycle on/off at idle, or at lease speed up/slow down, as they are variable speed fans.
hth

UnkleV77 08-05-2010 10:17 AM

95 SLS Overheating???

Thanks for responding Adam's Apple, yes you are correct the fans only come on when the temperature gets to 200dgs. The issue that I am having is that when the fans are blowing it feels to me, when I lift up the hood or coming out of the wheel covers, that there is "excessive heat"? I know that that motor is cramped. The heat is coming directly from the fans?

Adams' Apple 08-05-2010 12:32 PM

Yup....200 deg wind is pretty hot! Add in the radiant heat of the engine and trans, and it feels pretty dang hot under the hood.
It really all sounds normal to me. IF the engine temp is not getting above 220 for more than a short while, everything sounds good to me. A brief foray into a little higher temps in traffic, or on really hot days wouldn't bother me either. I just put a new rad in my '94 a couple of weeks ago(it sprung a leak), and I have noticed the engine temps overall have dropped only 4-5 degrees across the entire operating spectrum. Now, instead of it running around 216-220 on the road, it stays closer to 212-216 all the time. I'm happy wid dat.:cool:

UnkleV77 08-06-2010 09:55 AM

95 SLS Overheathing???

I highly appreciate your response Adam's Apple, I guess I was a lil' paranoid for a second. I've only had the car a month in a half. Love the ride and everything! Just a lil' nervous about the Northstar overheating with all the paranoia everyone else has about these motors. Your opinion is respected Adam's Apple! Thanks Again

I'm Cool Now!!! Lol