Cadillac Forum - Enthusiast forums for Cadillac Owners

Cadillac Forum - Enthusiast forums for Cadillac Owners (https://www.cadillacforum.com/forum/)
-   Aftermarket Cadillac Modifications (https://www.cadillacforum.com/forum/aftermarket-cadillac-modifications-55/)
-   -   **Help=( Aftermarket Radio install - 2000 Deville DTS** (https://www.cadillacforum.com/forum/aftermarket-cadillac-modifications-55/%2A%2Ahelp%3D-aftermarket-radio-install-2000-deville-dts%2A%2A-8808/)

jnemm 05-03-2009 04:17 PM

**Help=( Aftermarket Radio install - 2000 Deville DTS**

Hello everyone=)
I'm a n00b and just got my first own car, a 2000 Cadillac Deville DTS, I have 2 Alpine type r subs, and a kenwood 1000 rms amplifier. I just recently bought a new aftermarket Dual CD stereo, with ipod control/bluetooth...all that jazz=)... I went to best buy, bought a GM wiring harness for my 2000 deville ($25) and the aftermarket radio housing ($20)... I wired everything perfectly, (as this guide below told me to)

Car Radio Battery Constant 12v+ Wire: Orange
Car Radio Accessory Switched 12v+ Wire: Yellow
Car Radio Ground Wire: Black
Car Radio Illumination Wire: Gray
Car Stereo Dimmer Wire: Brown
Car Stereo Antenna Trigger Wire: N/A
Car Stereo Amp Trigger Wire: N/A
Car Stereo Amplifier Location: N/A
Car Audio Front Speakers Size: 6″
Car Audio Front Speakers Location: Doors
Left Front Speaker Positive Wire (+): Tan
Left Front Speaker Negative Wire (-): Gray
Right Front Speaker Positive Wire (+): Light Green
Right Front Speaker Negative Wire (-): Dark Green
Car Audio Rear Speakers Size: 6″
Car Audio Rear Speakers Location: Rear Deck
Left Rear Speaker Positive Wire (+): Brown
Left Rear Speaker Negative Wire (-): Yellow
Right Rear Speaker Positive Wire (+): Dark Blue
Right Rear Speaker Negative Wire (-): Light Blue

I then plugged in the wiring harness that i connected to my Dual CD Stereo, into my deville radio input (followed the instructions perfectly...so i thought?...) and i'm all excited to use my new sub system with my new aftermarket player....turn the ignition on.............and nothing=( no lights on the system or anything....BUT, it did eject the CD that was in the CD Stereo...but nothing else, (yes I did press the power button....) and I also borrowed my friends older DUAL CD player ) thinking maybe mine is shot, but his did the same as well... no power, but a cd popped out...nothing else tho=(

Please help, if pictures are needed for more info I can go out quick n take a few and upload them, any advice/help is greatly appreciated (I've put wayyy to much time into troubleshooting this issue with no luck):(

rickyd 05-03-2009 07:32 PM

just one quick one. did you disconnect the battery before installation. woops
rickyd

jnemm 05-03-2009 11:15 PM

....um i believe i did......when i disconnected the factory OEM bose system (cuz the manual said to disconnect the negative terminal on the battery to prevent a short circuit, and i didn't wanna hurt the expensive bose factory player so it was disconnected when i unplugged the bose radio, but i believe the battery wasn't disconnected when i plugged in my aftermarket dual stereo system, but the car was off and I tried it with another aftermarket dual stereo system and nothing happened both times....? would it really make a difference?? if I had the battery connected or disconnected? cuz there's no power going to the radio when the car is completely turned off (even keys out of the ignition)

rickyd 05-04-2009 10:59 AM

just askin because you may have blown a fuse with battery conected at disassemble, or assemble..... im sure you have checked those though, right?
rickyd

jnemm 05-05-2009 12:29 AM

assemble or disassemble? i'm confused? how do i check that?
(thanks 4 the help so far)

rickyd 05-05-2009 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by jnemm (Post 31500)
assemble or disassemble? i'm confused? how do i check that?
(thanks 4 the help so far)

sorry.....take in, take out..... lol ..... thats a better term

BADLAC 05-05-2009 09:41 AM

If the unit will eject the cd, it is getting power. If it won't turn on, I would suspect the yellow wire coming from the radio isn't getting power. I don't know what color that would be in the Cadillac harness though.

jnemm 05-05-2009 10:01 AM

hmm....well about the suggestion about if the battery was disconnect or not, (aka then having a fuse blown....) I dont think that's the issue, because I reconnected my bose radio (so i can listen to music in the mean while)... and i snap the wire harness in the back of the bose and it works perfectly....but when I connect it to my adapter that fits for my Dual radio....nothing...? About the previous suggestion above... yes it does get power to eject the cd, but that is it, nothing else powers on, not even the lights...the yellow wire is pretty standard for all cars... (my dual manual says its 12v power) and the cadillac wire harness that i purchased from best buy says right on the wire that its the 12v power supply....I'll post some pictures of my adapter setup

ActionJackson4205 05-05-2009 01:12 PM

I had a similar problem in my 97 Deville. Wired everything in perfectly and didn't really work. Didn't act like it had power. I found out they sell a very expensive wiring harness for the Caddys with the factory amp. You need to wire that in so the factory amp and speakers get used. Without it you would have to rewire the whole car so you don't go through the amp i suppose you can do that but it would be quite a hard(and probably expensive paying for all the speaker wire) task. It does seem like the wiring harness is the best way to go. You can find them on ebay but I would check your local auto electronics store so you know what you are looking for. It is a long cable. The one for my car was around $100.

BADLAC 05-05-2009 04:48 PM

I'll bet the yellow wire that connects to the stereo (not sure what color it is on the dash loom from the car) is not providing a full 12 volts.