US Emissions Have a question about getting your car to pass a state emissions test? Ask here.

emissions nightmare, TCC PWM Solenoid, PO741

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2010, 04:02 PM
Default emissions nightmare, TCC PWM Solenoid, PO741

Brought 2001 Cadillac Deville through emissions...it failed - the computer codes read PO741: Torque Converter Clutch Circuit Performance or Stuck Off, P1860 Manufacturer Controlled Transmission...the car runs fine...but the emissions guy said it can't pass because the "Ck engine" light doesn't come on ...even though all the other lights do at ignition....

I learned that most likely the seller or someone related to the auction sale probably deactivated the engine light to hide the transmission problem, which turns out to be a 6th gear problem, which would allow me to drive it forever with just 5 gears, but to get the light to turn off properly I'd need to fix the transmission, which would cost more than the car???

Any suggestions?

Thanks

onevoice1255

Last edited by Stealth; 12-30-2010 at 09:18 AM. Reason: new information
Old 04-08-2010, 05:10 PM

The car probably just needs a new TCC PWM Solenoid, but it might also need turbine shaft seals. You can test the solenoid at the 20-way connector by testing terminals T and U with an ohm meter. There should be 10 to 15 ohms resistance.

The solenoid costs about $50. It is a major effort to install, but it can be done without pulling the transaxle.

If it is a turbine shaft seal the transaxle must be removed.

Let me know if you are near Seattle and need help or just want to sell the car.

Old 04-09-2010, 10:58 AM
Default Emissions Problem

Hi,

Yeah, after I brought it to three mechanics, the thought is, since the gas gage and other panel indicators and functions don't work...and there's no "ck. engine light" it might need a computer module...but the Caddy dealer said the transmission indicator is most likely due to the 6th gear, deep inside the trans...and, I could drive the care another 100,000 without noticing that, so to repair the transmission for 3K just to satisfy an emissions test is out.

I will take your advise about the solenoid...and as far as selling it I've considered it, but the car runs and rides so sweet...plus I'm in CT...the nations capital for fees, charges, renewals, fines, and the most ridiculous emissions program anywhere.

7 years ago the state busted the company they had contracted with to conduct the entire emissions program (taking bribes). So they closed them down. The state had spotted them millions to build all the testing stations. So, for 5 years...no emissions testing in CT. !!!

The EPA yearly air-quality tests indicated that during those fives years, the air quality was actually cleaner than any other time period???

So, $20 per car every 2 years...approx. 6M cars = mega $$$ for ???

Thanks for the information, time, and condsideration responding...I wish Seattle was a little closer...I might have considered selling.

onevoice1255

Old 04-09-2010, 02:07 PM
Default Malfunction Indicator Light with P0741 and P1860

When my car got the codes my Caddy dealer wanted to replace the transmission. The fact that replacing the solenoid fixed the problem proves that they were wrong and it appears that your dealer is wrong as well.

I previously posted instructions for replacing the solenoid under Automatic Transmissions. Search Malfunction Indicator Light with P0741 and P1860. If you are willing to spend a day with your car, are handy with a wrench, and can tie a knot then you can change the solenoid yourself. Your mileage will improve slightly. The solenoid doesn't provide another gear. It eliminates the slip in the automatic transmission by providing a direct engagement between the engine and propeller shafts.

Replacing the solenoid won't fix your fuel gauge or the fact that the check engine light is not lit. Try posting a complete list of the symptoms and trouble codes related to the instrument panel problem.