Code P-1860

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2014, 06:34 PM
Default Code P-1860

Service transmission code P-1860, I need to know which pins they are in the connector looking into the transmission with the locator guide on the right as you look into the transmission ? And what ohm reading should be ? Pain in the neck fix stomper are you out there ? NEED HELP PLEASE

Old 03-23-2014, 01:40 PM
Tech Certified Members

year and model would be helpful. engine if multiple choice

Old 03-24-2014, 08:30 AM
Tech Certified Members

Yup...year, and model of vehicle would certainly help. I can post the diagrams and any info you need, but we gotta know what the heck kinda car it is....

1860 is a generic TCC solenoid code, common on the 4T80E trans, but different year models have different wiring on/at the connector....

Old 03-24-2014, 02:58 PM
Default Too many beers when I posted "SORRY"

1996 deville "K" in Vehical Idenification Number, I think from 1996 to 1999 is the same ? Trans. ? and also wireing ? For the model. I tried to clean out the connector as much as possible but still code comes up. The trans runs fine ( soooooo it must be a bad connection at the multi-pin connector, HELP the bible is missing ?

Old 03-24-2014, 09:59 PM
Tech Certified Members

Thanks...that helps.
It is the 4T80....used from '96-2005 in the Devilles.(make SURE it is a '96 with the Northstar engine...the '95 used the 4T60E trans and 4.9 engine....totally different animal)
The code is for the TCC solenoid. Chances are the solenoid is melted. Replacing the solenoid will get you down the road for a while, but if it is melted, it's because of other problems deeper in the trans. You say the trans is working properly, but I'd be willing to bet it has no lock-up.
I'll post the troubleshooting info, and wiring diagram tomorrow for you. No time right now....gotta take a nap!

Old 03-25-2014, 10:58 AM
Smile Thanks for reply

Yes, it's a Northstar engine, I was working on connector to repair code PO-717, the ISS in the transmission and fixed that, however when I cleared the codes this came up, was'nt there before I started working on the connector ? So, I guess I messed up something else while fixing the PO-717 code ? Not my Day !

Once again, "THANK" YOU for the REPLY.

Old 03-25-2014, 11:20 AM
Tech Certified Members

Here's the connector. viewed from the trans side of the connector. Also gives wire colors for the engine side. 10-15 ohms for the solenoid.

Here's the diagnostic routine for the code:

TCC PWM Solenoid Electrical

TCC PWM Solenoid Electrical (continued)

Fluid Temp Sensor CKT Range/Performance

System Operation

Ignition voltage is provided to the Torque Converter Clutch Solenoid Valve (TCC Sol. Valve) . The PCM controls the ON and OFF time of the solenoid by providing a ground through Output Driver Module (0DM) B. The PCM uses a Pulse Width Modulation (PWM) duty cycle, in order to control application and release of the TCC. When the solenoid is commanded OFF, the PCM senses high volts. When the solenoid is commanded ON, the PCM senses low volts.

When the PCM detects voltage limits that do not meet the calibration, then DTC P1860 sets. DTC P1860 is a Type A DTC.

CONDITIONS FOR SETTING THE DTC

• No 0DM DTC P1650 is set.
  • The engine has been running for 5 seconds.
  • The TCC Sol. Valve duty cycle is between 10% and 85%.
  • The PCM detects an open, a short to ground, or a short to power on the TCC PWM Sol. Valve circuit within 5 seconds.
ACTION TAKEN WHEN THE DTC SETS

• The PCM illuminates the Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL).
  • SERVICE ENGINE SOON, SERVICE TRANSMISSION displays on the Driver Information Center (DIC).
  • The PCM inhibits Torque Converter Clutch.
  • The PCM inhibits 4th gear when the transmission is in hot mode.
CONDITIONS FOR CLEARING THE MIL/DTC

• The PCM turns OFF the MIL after three consecutive ignition cycles without a failure reported.
  • A scan tool can clear the DTC from the PCM history. The PCM clears the DTC from the PCM history if the vehicle completes 40 warm-up cycles without a failure reported.
  • The PCM cancels the DTC default actions when the fault no longer exists and the ignition is OFF long enough in order to power down the PCM.
DIAGNOSTIC AIDS

• Inspect the wiring for poor electrical connections at the PCM. Inspect the wiring for poor electrical connections at the transmission 20-way connector. Inspect the wiring for poor electrical connections at the 2-way TCC Sol. Valve connector. Look for the following conditions:
  • A bent terminal
  • A backed out terminal
  • A damaged terminal
  • Poor terminal tension
  • A chafed wire
  • Ensure that the transmission fluid is at the proper level.
  • When diagnosing for an intermittent short or open condition, massage the wiring harness while watching the test equipment for a change.
TEST DESCRIPTION

The numbers below refer to the step numbers on the diagnostic chart.

1. This Step ensures that you performed the Powertrain On-Board Diagnostic System Check.
  2. This Step ensures that you verified the transmission fluid and that the fluid is at the proper level.
  3. This Step verifies power to terminal U of the Engine Wiring Harness. If the test lamp lights, inspect circuit 422 for a short to ground. Use the J 35616 Connector Test Adapter Kit, in order to avoid damaging the terminals.
  1. This Step uses the scan tool in order to cycle the TCC Sol. Valve ON and OFF.
  2. This Step verifies that the test lamp is always OFF.
  1. This Step verifies that the test lamp is always ON, and never turned OFF, or does not pulse.
  1. This Step verifies that the TCC PWM Sol. Valve is within resistance specifications.
  2. This Step inspects and repairs circuit 420 and circuit 422 of the Automatic Transmission Wiring Harness. If you find an open in the transmission harness, you must replace the harness.
  1. This Step inspects circuit 422 of the Automatic Transmission Wiring Harness. If you find a short to ground in the transmission harness, you must replace the harness.
  2. This Step replaces the TCC PWM Sol. Valve after you have verified all the related circuitry.
  3. This Step replaces the PCM after you have verified all the related circuitry and components.

Attached Thumbnails Code P-1860-4t80econnector.jpg  

Last edited by Adams' Apple; 03-25-2014 at 11:23 AM.
Old 04-01-2014, 05:20 PM
Default tcc solenoid

On my 2003 SLS I replaced the tcc solenoid by removing the transaxle side panel without removing the engine/transaxle. It is a difficult project, but a solenoid is not an expensive component. There is a supporting youtube video posted by a German owner which is most helpful. One year later, no service codes or issues. The tcc solenoid was melted at the connector.

Old 04-18-2014, 09:36 AM

Thanks so much for all your help