1989 Cadillac Fleetwood - transmission rebuild - throttle valve stuck

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2008, 10:13 AM
Default 1989 Cadillac Fleetwood - transmission rebuild - throttle valve stuck

just had my tranni rebuilt. I drove it home which was 30 miles and it started to not shift at the right time. It would shift to late so it would rev up high before it shifted. I had the tranni guy send a tow truck and he said it was the throttle valve got stuck.Itorgininaly had 250k miles on it, is this normall for it to get stuck? he said it shouldnt happen again but just smash the gas twice with the engine off to fix it if it does happen again. What i really want to know is should i go "easy on the tranni" at first to sort of break it in?

=============
Mod edit
Title

Old 01-19-2008, 10:49 AM
Tech Certified Members
Default RE: tranni rebuild

Follow recommendations of transmission shop. If you don't and break it, shop may not warranty repair. If it happens again do what he says and take it back to him, because something is not right.

Old 01-19-2008, 12:21 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: 1989 fleetwood

just had my tranni rebuilt. I drove it home which was 30 miles and it started to not shift at the right time. It would shift to late so it would rev up high before it shifted. I had the tranni guy send a tow truck and he said it was the throttle valve got stuck.Itorgininaly had 250k miles on it, is this normall for it to get stuck? he said it shouldnt happen again but just smash the gas twice with the engine off to fix it if it does happen again. What i really want to know is should i go "easy on the tranni" at first to sort of break it in?
also, KEEP A LOG ...

conversations, time, date,
technical issues,
what happens when you call the tech,
etc.

the log serves two purposes.
1. you both dont have to "remember",
2. if it goes sour, the courts love logs.

BTW, email communications are even more valuable than phone calls.
the communications are do***ented.

Old 01-20-2008, 01:05 PM

Thanks stealth thats a good idea. Iwent to pick it up yesterday after the throttle valve got stuck and i drove about5 miles and my "service engine soon" light came on. I pulled over and reset the valve by smashing the gas twice and turned the car back on. The light light went out so im guessing the valve was the cause. I was on the highway going about 55mph when it happened. Im going to call the guy on tuesday and tell him what happened. You think i should have it checked out?

Old 01-21-2008, 09:45 AM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: 1989 fleetwood

Thanks stealth thats a good idea. Iwent to pick it up yesterday after the throttle valve got stuck and i drove about5 miles and my "service engine soon" light came on. I pulled over and reset the valve by smashing the gas twice and turned the car back on. The light light went out so im guessing the valve was the cause. I was on the highway going about 55mph when it happened. Im going to call the guy on tuesday and tell him what happened. You think i should have it checked out?
same car?

https://www.cadillacforum.com/m_10469/tm.htm
https://www.cadillacforum.com/m_15524/tm.htm

Of course you should call him.
In servicing a 20 year car, unpredictable things can happen.

It is what the technician does after a repair goes bad to make it good that separates the men from the boys.
You are about to find out which group he belongs to.

question:
There are degrees of rebuilding transmissions.
There is a big difference from a total overhaul and a replace only needed parts.
Do you know what you got? what did you pay for? What does the invoice say?

Advice:
Keep the log as that will most likely help the technician understand what is happening.
Be nice, be civil, fully explain the details and ask what can be done.

IF you confront before its all done, it will most likely never be done.

keep us posted .. this is an interesting dilema.

Old 01-22-2008, 12:12 PM

ya its the same car, so lets go over whats happened. I paid 2k for a total rebuilt tranni. Got the car and it felt good and solid for the first 30 miles then it wouldnt shift at the right spot.He towed the car to him and saidthe throttle valve got stuck and i shouldnt have any more problems. so i pick up the car and about 5 to 10 miles down the road my service engine soon light came on. i pulled over and turned off the car then turned it on. The light went off. And now its been 2 days since that first time the light came on. But now it came on 3 times within 15 miles today. So im taking it to him today to look at.The lightcomes on when im driving in 4th gear going about 45-55 mph. It feels like it revs up little bit almost like a slipping feel like the clutch dosent catch. It dosent rev up much but enough for me to look at my idiot lights and at this point the service engine light comes on. So sorry for the essay but what do u think the light is coming on for? Maybe a sensor? or some dirt in the tranni?

Old 01-22-2008, 03:52 PM

I just got word back from my mech. He said he drove it for a while but he couldnt get the light to come on. If the light still doesent come on for him tommorow you think i should drive it untill the light comes on and leave the light on and bring it to him? although it does run different when the light is on. The darn light will go away when i restart the car.... this is very frustrating.

Old 01-22-2008, 06:09 PM
Tech Certified Members

What code is setting?

Old 01-23-2008, 11:32 AM

what code are you talking about?

Old 01-23-2008, 07:12 PM
Tech Certified Members

Code setting causing Service Engine Soon light to come on.

Quick Reply: 1989 Cadillac Fleetwood - transmission rebuild - throttle valve stuck